Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

open a bit locker encrypted usb on Mac OS

Hi folks,

So I've had to use bit locker on a usb drive at work and I want to copy the files onto my MacBook Air, I've had a look at some of the programs online, most of which you've got to pay for..

Can anybody recommend which is the best software to use, or if there is a descent free one that will let me open, read and copy over to the Mac..

Cheers

Rod..

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 6:55 PM

bigroddo wrote:

Hi folks,

So I've had to use bit locker on a usb drive at work and I want to copy the files onto my MacBook Air, I've had a look at some of the programs online, most of which you've got to pay for..

Can anybody recommend which is the best software to use, or if there is a descent free one that will let me open, read and copy over to the Mac..

Cheers

Rod..

[Solved] How to open Bitlocker encrypted USB drive in macOS, Mac OS X?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 6:55 PM in response to bigroddo

bigroddo wrote:

Hi folks,

Cheers

Rod..

[Solved] How to open Bitlocker encrypted USB drive in macOS, Mac OS X?

Sep 29, 2018 7:30 AM in response to bigroddo

The BitLocker that I am thinking about is built into Windows Vista and later, and on recent hardware, writes its recovery key into a motherboard location known as the Trusted Platform Module (TPM). That recovery key would not be available anywhere else but on the Windows machine that bitlocker was run, and the content of your USB drive will be worthless anywhere other than on that original Windows machine.

Sep 30, 2018 12:13 PM in response to VikingOSX

don't think the security of the bitlocker runs that high, its the works I.T requirement, however I can use the drive on any windows pc, insert the usb and it will ask for the password.. I think its to stop any viruses being uploaded to the PC's..which is stupid if I can unlock it on any windows enabled pc and therefore potentially take a virus form one pc to another, but hey as long as it's bitlocker protected then it'll be ok..!! That sounds really secure Microsoft...!!!

The only problem is trying to open it on Mac, as I doesn't recognise the bitlocker program..

open a bit locker encrypted usb on Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.