Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't set screentime passcode (my entries are ignored)

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the instructions at Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support to set a screentime passcode for my child's iPad. It is running iOS 15.4.1 (updated last night due to my issue, but it has not helped).

I press on turn on screentime, select that "it's my child's ipad" and then:

• set the downtime to the default 10pm-7am
  • set the app limit time amount to exectly 1 hour for all apps and categories
  • enter the pin I want (e.g. 1234) twice
  • when the iPad then asks me to sign in, I use my own account (so NOT my child's which the ipad is running with)

What happens is this:

• Screentime turns on
  • I press on downtime and it does NOT ask me for a passcode
  • The downtime shown is DIFFERENT to what I selected, specifically 9:30pm->7:00am
  • I edit it again to set it to something else, e.g. 9pm-->7am
  • At this point I get asked for the passcode
  • ENTERING THE PASSCODE DOES NOT WORK (claims it is incorrect)
  • At this point anything I try to access asks for the passcode and gradually after 5 attempts I get slowed down (try gain in 1 minute and such)

Now, at first I thought that I accidentally entered a different passcode twice. But this is definitely NOT the case. This is because I tried to recover the passcode and pressed pm "Forgot passcode?" where I used my login to recover it AND IT DID NOT WORK. I entered my Apple ID and password (my own, not my child's) and nothing happened.

At this point I was confused and tried using MY CHILD'S APPLE ID, and I was able to turn off screentime with that! (surprising I know).

I was back to step 1 (no screentime) so I tried again and agina and the same thing happens! Every time screentime turns on, it has the following settings NO MATTER WHAT I ENTER (so, I enter different times/duration when turning on, but it always activates with the following settings:

• Downtime 09:30pm to 07:00am
  • No 1 hour and 20 minutes of app limits for all categories every day
  • Certain always-allowd applications (mostly chat/facetime related)
  • Block inappropriate content restrictions

I tried this several times and it never picks up what I entered! I am then unable to change any of them because the passcode I selected is ignored (so it keeps saying I entered the wrong passcode). I am unable to recover the passcode with my OWN account. All I can do is turn off screentime, USING MY CHILD'S account.

Why is this happening and what can I do? I am unable to set the screentime I want, and the settings it sets for me instead cannot be edited because the passcode I set is not recongnise. Even worse, apparently my child's account can simply turn off screentime!

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on May 4, 2022 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2022 9:48 AM

So, I managed to fix this as follows:

• I turned on screen time with the "borked settings" as described above
  • While in the bad state, I chose to "Change screen time passcode" (instead of turning it off with the forgot passcode)
  • For changing the passcode I entered my child's Apple ID (the one I used to turn off screentime while in a bad state)
  • After authenticating with my child's account, it prompted me to enter a new passcode, which I did
  • At this stage I was prompted for the Apple ID to use in case I forget the password: I used *my* (parent) account

The new passcode "took" and the new value started being recognised. I attempted to change the start/end time and duration and when prompted for the passcode it finally recognised the value I gave!

I restarted the iPad to make sure it's permanent and it still had screentime on with my new values and the new passcode working. I even changed the passcode one more time to make sure it's "ok" (this time I did not need to sign in with the Apple ID as the existing value was accepted) and the process worked fine.

So whatever "glitch" this thing had run into, it's finally snapped out of it. Things seem to work now.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This was a very frustrating and poor experience...

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2022 9:48 AM in response to akarypid

So, I managed to fix this as follows:

• I turned on screen time with the "borked settings" as described above
  • While in the bad state, I chose to "Change screen time passcode" (instead of turning it off with the forgot passcode)
  • For changing the passcode I entered my child's Apple ID (the one I used to turn off screentime while in a bad state)
  • After authenticating with my child's account, it prompted me to enter a new passcode, which I did
  • At this stage I was prompted for the Apple ID to use in case I forget the password: I used *my* (parent) account

The new passcode "took" and the new value started being recognised. I attempted to change the start/end time and duration and when prompted for the passcode it finally recognised the value I gave!

I restarted the iPad to make sure it's permanent and it still had screentime on with my new values and the new passcode working. I even changed the passcode one more time to make sure it's "ok" (this time I did not need to sign in with the Apple ID as the existing value was accepted) and the process worked fine.

So whatever "glitch" this thing had run into, it's finally snapped out of it. Things seem to work now.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This was a very frustrating and poor experience...

May 7, 2022 7:21 AM in response to destiny241

Definitely used a different passcode. In fact, the passcode for unlocking the iPad is six digits long, whereas the parental controls one is four digits long, so it is impossible to use the same.

I do not own any other Apple devices, though I do have an Apple ID from back when I had one. When logging into icloud.com and checking my account settings, I can see under "Family Sharing" my account as an organiser and my child's account next to it. The problem there is that the child's account shows up as "Adult" and I do not see anything in the web interface to change that:

May 7, 2022 6:16 AM in response to akarypid

Hello Akarypid,

Hoping we can find a solution to this. When you set up the passcode, was it different than the passcode to unlock the iPad? We ask because it states this in the resource shared earlier:

"Make sure to choose a passcode that's different from the passcode that you use to unlock your device."

Per resource: Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

You mentioned taking these steps on your child's iPad. Have you tried setting up Screen Time using your device(s) yet? That is currently how we have it set up and seems to function without any issues on our end. Also, are you part of Family Sharing on with your child's Apple ID? (Just to make sure when they're signed in, these devices will appear on your device to manage.)

Hoping to hear back, take care.

May 7, 2022 8:37 AM in response to akarypid

Hi akarypid,

Got it. It sounds like you've found the source of the issue. You'll need to work with your child to sign into their Apple ID, and change their birth date effectively changing them from an "adult" to an Apple ID for a child.

Steps for your child:

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
1. Go to Settings > [your name].
2. Tap Name, Phone Numbers, Email. You might need to enter your Apple ID password.
3. Tap Change Birthday or Birthday. 
4. Update your birth date, then tap Done. If you're changing a birth date for a child, learn what to do

Steps for you:

Change a birth date for a child

To change a birth date to any age below 13,* you must be a member of a Family Sharing group, and your family organizer must approve the change. After you change a birth date to any age below 13, you can't edit it.* Learn more about Family Sharing

1. Update the birth date.
2. Follow the onscreen steps to send an email request to your family organizer.
3. Your family organizer will get an email with instructions to approve the request. 
*Age varies by country or region. If you need to change the birth date for a child, contact Apple Support

This information is from Update the birth date associated with your Apple ID. You should read this resource in full. Once your child is shown as a "child" in the system, then you can link parental controls. As you found out, you cannot set up parental controls for another adult. Even if that person is a child with an adult Apple ID account.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

May 7, 2022 12:14 PM in response to akarypid

akarypid,

If your child is 13 years of age, they may no longer have a child account depending on your region. They need to be under 13 to have a child account. Setting up Screen Time using their Apple ID would be expected behavior. Check out more information here: Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support.

For more help with this, please contact Apple Support: Apple Support

Take Care.

May 7, 2022 4:20 AM in response to danakayw

I'm sorry, but why bother posting if all you're going to suggest is a restart? Not only do I not trust software enough to have done this already, but I've actually mentioned that I've gone as far as to UPDATE to the latest iOS (which by the way also includes one more restart) in the hopes of fixing the issue and STILL it happens.

If anyone has something useful to suggest, please do.

So yes, the iPad has been restarted, updated to latest release and generally works just fine apart from the fact that I can't use it for my child because parental controls refuse to activate properly.

May 7, 2022 11:50 AM in response to Alex_Han

Hi Alex_Han,

Thanks for your reply. This helped identify that an incorrect age was set, which I have now fixed and I now see the child's account as "Aged 13" (which is correct).

Unfortunately this didn't fix the issue. The problem persists exactly as before. It seems like whatever is plagueing this iPad has nothing to do with the account age (though at least that is now corrected)...

May 7, 2022 12:48 PM in response to melissa_m77

Hi melissa_m77,

I am in the UK but I don't see how the region plays into this. Setting up screen time with the child's account would mean they can turn it off at any time (like I am currently doing (using the "forgot passcode" feature). That defeats the purpose... The only option would be to change their Apple ID password to something they don't know.

Does nobody in the UK use screen time for 13-16 year olds?

Can't set screentime passcode (my entries are ignored)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.