iMovie Import Photos Out of Order

I’m trying to create a video with over 200 photos and iMovie imports them out of order and I don’t have time to manually put them in order. Why has Apple made iMovie so difficult to use?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 9:15 AM

The Photos-out-of-sequence issue has frequently been reported on this forum.

From the iMovie View menu you can sort by Name, Date, or Duration. One can also sort clips by inserting them individually into the timeline in the desired order. However, as you have mentioined, you have lots of photos that makes manually sorting them impractical.

If the photos are in your Photos app, you can arrange them in the order that you want in and album. Then open the album, select all the clips as a batch, and then do a File/Export __ Photos/Sequential to export them to a Finder folder on your desktop. You want to set the File Name to "Sequential" in the Photos export box. The photos will appear in the desktop folder in the same sequence you set in the Photos app. From the desktop folder, drag the photos as a group into an iMovie timeline and they will retain their seaquence. It seems that dragging them into the My Media browser will preserve the sequence, but in reverse order. However, when you drag them from My Media into the timeline they will come in in their proper sequence (not reversed).

-- Rich

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2023 9:15 AM in response to pujiann

The Photos-out-of-sequence issue has frequently been reported on this forum.

From the iMovie View menu you can sort by Name, Date, or Duration. One can also sort clips by inserting them individually into the timeline in the desired order. However, as you have mentioined, you have lots of photos that makes manually sorting them impractical.

If the photos are in your Photos app, you can arrange them in the order that you want in and album. Then open the album, select all the clips as a batch, and then do a File/Export __ Photos/Sequential to export them to a Finder folder on your desktop. You want to set the File Name to "Sequential" in the Photos export box. The photos will appear in the desktop folder in the same sequence you set in the Photos app. From the desktop folder, drag the photos as a group into an iMovie timeline and they will retain their seaquence. It seems that dragging them into the My Media browser will preserve the sequence, but in reverse order. However, when you drag them from My Media into the timeline they will come in in their proper sequence (not reversed).

-- Rich

May 26, 2023 2:11 AM in response to pujiann

I'm new to this Community Discussion.

I have just bought a Mac Mini with Ventura as the OS. I had a iMac prior to this with OS Catalina. On Catalina in Photos, Albums were configured Old to New, and then transferred to iMovie as Old to New. Fine, it worked. I don't think I had problems with iMovie in all the years I had it. For the last 6 years I've had a YouTube Channel, made something like 120 videos of which 86 are public videos.

Now with Ventura, Albums are configured correctly, but photos are incorrectly set in iMovie New to Old. This is a huge problem, as all photos will start incorrectly - and as Rich839 correctly says - it's impractical to then manually correct. It's also the word I use, but there are plenty of other words I could have used!

When I was searching on the internet to see about this problem, I came to this discussion, and it's clear this has been going on for years. From 2019 - 2022 there was a new OS each year, starting with Catalina. Catalina works. Big Sur I don't know whether it works correctly or not. Monterey and Ventura don't work.

This is my question: does anybody know definitively whether Big Sur is configured correctly?

Thank you.

iMovie Import Photos Out of Order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.