Airpods Max not working on one side

Why are my airpods max only working on one side? i only got them yesterday and music is only working on one ear...

AirPods Max

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 8:13 AM

If your left or right AirPod won't play audio, this support article may have a solution --> If your left or right AirPod isn't working - Apple Support

If you still need help, use this link for this specific issue to contact Apple Support. Click here --> https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=kbase&PGF=PGF32003&category_id=SC0285&symptom_id=23222

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 8:13 AM in response to mila_tv

If your left or right AirPod won't play audio, this support article may have a solution --> If your left or right AirPod isn't working - Apple Support

If you still need help, use this link for this specific issue to contact Apple Support. Click here --> https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=kbase&PGF=PGF32003&category_id=SC0285&symptom_id=23222

May 15, 2024 9:34 AM in response to mila_tv

All the other answers I’ve seen have involved resetting or other software solutions. The answer could very easily be hardware:

1. Remove the magnetic ear cups.
  2. Locate the pin holes at the top of the left and right ear. They’ll look like a SIM card hole for a phone. They’ll be on the inside (would have been hidden under the ear cup).
  3. Use a SIM card ejector tool to remove the headphones from the band (yes, each ear completely separates). You’ll see a connector piece that looks like a Lightning cable and a headphone jack had a baby.
  4. Use a cotton pad with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, like from a first aid kit) to clean the connectors. There are two- one at the end of each side of the band. You’ll see there’s likely dirt/corrosion/something that’ll come off as you clean.
  5. make sure it’s dry, then reattach the ears to the band. You’ll insert the connector in and rotate slowly until you hear a click. That means the ear piece is attached to the band again.
  6. Reattach your ear cups (the magnetic ones) and enjoy!

I spent hours following other tutorials on resetting, restarting, unpairing, etc. and ended up getting nowhere. Did this and now they’re working beautifully again!

Airpods Max not working on one side

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.