Turn off Buddy Controller

I want to play co-op games offline with 2 wireless Ps5 and Ps4 controllers on my iPad Pro (iOS 16). Is it possible? The fact is that the iPad automatically turns on the Buddy Controller (two controllers for the same character) option, and there is no way to turn it off (setting, general, game controllers, buddy controllers).

my question is:

• Can iOS 16 support 2 players co-op with 2 bluetooth controllers?
  • If yes, is there a way to turn off Buddy Controllers, and play with 2 characters in those games who allows it?

I obviously refer to those games that allows co-op (TMNT: Shredder’s revenge and so on).

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 2:00 AM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2023 12:42 PM in response to Stan Dibben

Hello Stan Dibben,

The iPad itself works either with one player and one control or through the Buddy Controller function, which you found and is explained in greater detail at Connect a game controller to iPad - Apple Support

Now if you have a friend with the same game on an Apple device, you can use SharePlay to play over FaceTime. That process is detailed at Play with friends in Game Center on iPad - Apple Support That will be the closest option to allow you to participate with friends over iPad.

Cheers!

May 1, 2023 12:19 AM in response to ShannonM1

Thank you. This means I cannot play with THE SAME iPad and 2 controllers turning off Buddy Controllers. In order to use 2 different characters in a game like TMNT: Shredder’s revenge, I need 2 iPads. Correct?

In other words, there is no way to play multiplayer games with 2 controllers on the same iPad. When you turn on the second controller on the same iPad you can only use them in Buddy mode (two controllers for the same character, even if the game would allow you to choose and play simultaneously with 2 different characters).

Quite a limitation, imho.

May 15, 2024 1:01 PM in response to Stan Dibben

You can if the game supports multiplayer on a single device. Don't know if that is the case with TMNT, but we have played Death Squared, Sociable Soccer, Badlands and a couple of LEGO games with two controllers.

Getting out of Buddy Mode is a little akward though, since you have to erase the controller settings of both to go back to individual controllers. Only takes a few seconds, but a simple disable button would have been elegant.

PS. Sorry for the late reply, didn't see the year there.. X)

Turn off Buddy Controller

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.