Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

SMS on iMac - Can Receive but not send

I am all of a sudden unable to send SMS from my iMac. I can still receive them, just not send them. iMessage is working normally. I have rebooted, signed out of messages, and signed back in. Still not working. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 6, 2023 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 7:55 AM

It is July 12/23 and I am having the same problem. I could send SMS messages one day and suddenly it wouldn't work. I think, it started a few months ago. Apple must have done something. It isn't the WiFi or anything outside that it causing it. I have done everything I could think of, off and on, before I finally called Apple Support. Their person says I have all the settings correct but she draws a blank as to the cause. Apple Support person suggested that maybe Android users needed to update their phones but that wasn't the issue. She said to call back if issue persisted and it does. I am sure I am not the only person to complain. If they look on their Apple Community they can plainly see there are others having this problem and wondering what to do. I have an iMac from 2015 that is upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 and seems to be as far as I can go. I know I can't run Brave with this Catalina OS, as it needs more power. I would like to know if people with newer OS can send SMS messages from their iMac?

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2023 7:55 AM in response to jrocket16

It is July 12/23 and I am having the same problem. I could send SMS messages one day and suddenly it wouldn't work. I think, it started a few months ago. Apple must have done something. It isn't the WiFi or anything outside that it causing it. I have done everything I could think of, off and on, before I finally called Apple Support. Their person says I have all the settings correct but she draws a blank as to the cause. Apple Support person suggested that maybe Android users needed to update their phones but that wasn't the issue. She said to call back if issue persisted and it does. I am sure I am not the only person to complain. If they look on their Apple Community they can plainly see there are others having this problem and wondering what to do. I have an iMac from 2015 that is upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 and seems to be as far as I can go. I know I can't run Brave with this Catalina OS, as it needs more power. I would like to know if people with newer OS can send SMS messages from their iMac?

Jul 12, 2023 1:06 PM in response to lkrupp

Thank you, I will call my cellular carrier. HOWEVER, I have WiFi enabled while in my house and I asked the Apple Support person if the Apple Messages are using WiFi in that case and she said "YES". In the past this service was working just fine. I did think to call my Internet provider which is different than my cellular provider. They said they couldn't help me because it was beyond their scope. Obviously, when I am away from the house everything is on Cellular network and there would be no issues.

I will report back if I have something positive to say.

Dec 30, 2023 12:17 PM in response to BBie47

Merry Christmas 2023. I have the exact same issue! A few months ago, everything worked from my Mac and iPhone. Now the only messages I can send and receive from my Mac are iMessages except I can receive SMS messages from anyone. I simply cannot send any! No one has give me any solution to this! I am awaiting a post from someone that has an answer.

Mar 7, 2024 2:06 PM in response to BBie47

I have essentially the same issue with my Macbook Pro from 2019. It is fully up to date and for years, I had no problem sending message to my kids with SMS texts. Then, kaboom, it doesn’t work any more. Now, this started several months ago and for a period of about a week in the middle of it, my texts worked fine. Then they failed again and to this day do not work.

May 31, 2024 10:26 AM in response to gem322

May 7th, 2024 is the date that Messages got updated, the Green one. Version 14. I receive texts but sending fails. iMessage works but Messages doesn’t. On my iPhone, they both work but not on my Mac Mini.

This has happened before, then things started to work again.

I’ve turned off Automatic Updates to the OS, which I am running Mac OS 14.5.

What’s up Apple ?

May 31, 2024 1:35 PM in response to Lost in Texas

May 7th, 2024 is the date that Messages got updated, the Green one. Version 14. I receive texts but sending fails. iMessage works but Messages doesn’t. On my iPhone, they both work but not on my Mac Mini.

This has happened before, then things started to work again.

I’ve turned off Automatic Updates to the OS, and App udates as well. which I am running Mac OS 14.5.

What’s up Apple ?

SMS on iMac - Can Receive but not send

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.