Vo2 Max much lower compared to Garmin.

My apple watch ultra vo2 max reads 29 but my garmin is 45. I'm in good condition and run and exercise daily with intense exercise multiple times a week. i've had my watch for 4 months and have set it up to record vo2. The reading seems pretty useless on apple watch.

Posted on May 24, 2023 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2024 6:29 AM

Algorithm, isn’t that just math, in this case that needs correcting.

My watch dropped from high 40’s to 28 with little evidence as to why.

As an ex cyclist I suspected high 40’s was low, but the drop raised enough concern that I went for a medical at my cost.

VO2 max >65! It’s not just wrong it is miles of and providing misinformation that is concerning, cost me money to investigate and was ultimately so so wrong!

Sort it out, not acceptable to be alarming people with data that is so inaccurate!

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2024 6:29 AM in response to Mineralwater

As an ex cyclist I suspected high 40’s was low, but the drop raised enough concern that I went for a medical at my cost.

VO2 max >65! It’s not just wrong it is miles of and providing misinformation that is concerning, cost me money to investigate and was ultimately so so wrong!

Sort it out, not acceptable to be alarming people with data that is so inaccurate!

Aug 28, 2023 10:09 PM in response to Mineralwater

Just to come back into this chat - I am really not sure if this is associated with where data is stored etc.

I only used an Apple Watch for years and my Vo2 max was much much lower than my eventual lab test result.

It was only when I switched my ultra to Garmin recently it then gave me a higher Vo2max which made me decide to get it lab measured.

I am convinced there is a basic issue with how apple evaluates vo2max in some people.

for me.

apple vo2 max 41

garmin 49

lab test 50

i now only use a Garmin as for training it is much better than Apple Watch for me.

Aug 28, 2023 11:51 AM in response to Mineralwater

I’ve used my Ultra since release and I had a vo2 max score of 52. Three weeks ago I started using a Garmin Epix to track my workouts. The workouts show up in my Apple fitness stats but my vo2 max has dropped to 48.

I believe that workouts recorded using Garmin do not contribute to Apple Vo2 Max scores which is why my score is dropping even through my fitness has remained stable. This might explain why, if you are using Garmin, Garmin scores your vo 2 max value higher then Apple health because it is using all the data from the Garmin devices.

Just my theory 🤷‍♂️

Jun 8, 2023 1:11 PM in response to LD150

I don’t think it’s about requiring a physical test or not. We know it’s just an estimate. What Mineralwater (and I) are asking is why is the estimate so different in two different device?

I have the exact same problem. I am now using an Ultra and was previously using a Garmin Epix Gen 2.

On the Ultra my estimate is 40 for VO2max and the Garmin is 49.

What’s more intriguing, is that I use an app for my hockey game called “hockey tracker” available from the AppStore and the estimate in the app is 50!

So it’s fair to ask why is Apple estimate in health app is lower.

Jun 8, 2023 1:29 PM in response to J-F

"So it’s fair to ask why is Apple estimate in health app is lower."

It may be fair to ask, but we have no insight into how Apple implements an algorithm. This is a user-to-user forum. No one here (with VERY limited exceptions) works for Apple.

If you want to pursue this topic, I suggest you.contact Apple Support. Or make your observations known to Apple using this link:

Product Feedback - Apple

May 25, 2023 3:06 PM in response to Mineralwater

Measuring accurate VO, max requires a physical test and special equipment. You can also get an estimated VO, max with heart rate and motion data from a fitness tracker.

Apple Watch can record an estimated VO, max when you do a brisk walk, hike or run outdoors.

Garmin estimates it differently.

Does yours say above or below average?

Feb 11, 2024 2:12 PM in response to Paddygill

Paddygill wrote:

Ex cyclist, but do you do enough running or power walking for the Watch to calculate it?

I am in the age range 70-79, fit, and I power walk and “jeff”. It puts me in the right range as below

Maybe Apple will include cycling one year. Ask for it https://apple.com/feedback

Vo2 Max much lower compared to Garmin.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.