Workable Prepaid cards to add money to Apple Cash

Why is it so hard to figure out which prepaid cards can be used to add money to Apple Cash? So far, it doesn't seem any answers from Apple or anyone. I have tried applying Serve Prepaid Debit Card and I could add it successfully as a Debit/Credit into my Wallet but it can't be used to add money to Apple Cash. In Apple Cash, it's listed as "Not enabled in App payment". I also tried to use it to pay electronically via my Wallet but Apple Pay rejected any transactions using it. Funny, it's still shown as one of the cards added to my Wallet.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 8:30 AM

Hello Donald-StatenIsland,

Please make sure your country or region supports Apple Pay - Countries and regions that support Apple Pay - Apple Support.

Furthermore you will need to check if your card and card issuer support Apple Pay and being added to Apple Wallet. That is on the card issuer's end not Apple. Your device will also need to support Apple Pay and should be updated to the most recent version.

Please read - If you can't add a card to Apple Wallet to use with Apple Pay - Apple Support.

I hope this helps!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2023 8:30 AM in response to Donald-StatenIsland

Hello Donald-StatenIsland,

Please make sure your country or region supports Apple Pay - Countries and regions that support Apple Pay - Apple Support.

Furthermore you will need to check if your card and card issuer support Apple Pay and being added to Apple Wallet. That is on the card issuer's end not Apple. Your device will also need to support Apple Pay and should be updated to the most recent version.

Please read - If you can't add a card to Apple Wallet to use with Apple Pay - Apple Support.

I hope this helps!

Jun 23, 2023 6:07 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Thanks Jeff. Your answer makes sense. Appreciated.

I was following Apple link to give a try: Add money to Apple Cash - Apple Support since it does say "After you set up Apple Cash, you can add money to your balance using the debit or prepaid cards". But it doesn't tell what prepaid cards would work: it just said some prepaid cards might not work. I have been working in comercial banks and Investment banks for ages. Would never see such a financial statement out there for a long time if it wouldn't work. Maybe Apple is too new in Finance and banking.

Major bank cards would work on adding money to Apple Cash as they're debit cards associated with banks. I have tried. Maybe prepaid cards lack transparence, not associated with any bank, .... less trustworthy.

Jun 23, 2023 10:27 AM in response to pjswiz

Thanks for the prompt reply. However, the answer would be similar to what Apple Support would have done. Actually, I called Apple Support before joining this forum. The Apple Support has actually performed a screen login to my IPhone to check but still not working. They asked me to call my prepaid card provider instead.

No issue to add AmericanExpress/Serve Prepaid card to my Apple Wallet. It has been added. But adding money to Apple Cash is different from simply adding it to the Apple Wallets. It doesn't work once I tried to add money to Apple Cash. Not sure if you would really understand the issue and the differences. If not Serve Prepaid card, who could show me which Prepaid card(s) would work in adding Money to Apple Cash (not just adding to my Wallets). If none, then Apple should have indicated clearly it won't work for adding money from any Prepaid card to Apple Cash. But it seems the Apple site confuses us between adding to my Wallets and adding Money to Apple Cash. I don't think Apple has supported the latter for prepaid cards. It's no point to call back the card provider as a Prepaid card is clearly a debit card and loaded cash already. I have been able to swipe it to do store purchases and online's. Actually, I have called Serve support and they asked me to check with Apple instead. As long as Apple could support them, they should be. Is this clear to you and anyone here? I am surprised if still not.

Thanks,

Donald

Mar 20, 2024 4:27 AM in response to uf911-b

Call the phone number on the back of the prepaid card and that will connect you to the bank that issued the prepaid card and ask if cash can be withdrawn from the card. That is essentially what is happening. Apple Cash is trying to withdraw cash from the prepaid debit account. I doubt many (if even any) will permit the transaction. It has overtones of money laundering.

Jun 21, 2023 8:31 PM in response to pjswiz

Hello psjwiz,

Thanks for the reply. But it still doesn't help and the Apple Cash/Add money remains problematic for using prepaid cards. Using a bank debit card isn't an issue though.

I'm in NYC. I have successfully added my American Express-Serve reload prepaid card to my Apple Pay Wallet. It is being shown one of the cards to be swiped. So it's no issue for adding it to my Apple pay Wallet.

But when I try to add Money to my Apple Cash, select an amount, and start to pick a debit card to apply, it doesn't recognize my Serve Prepaid card as a debit card but puts it under the "Not enabled for app payment" section along with other credit cards added. It's understandable that credit cards aren't allowed for adding Money to Apple Cash but I don't get why my prepaid card can't be enabled for adding Money to Apple Cash. Theoretically, a prepaid card is a type of debit card loaded with enough cash. So Apple Pay should have recognized that and allowed it.

Hope my problem explanation could help resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Donald

Jun 23, 2023 10:42 AM in response to Donald-StatenIsland

It’s simple really. If you add the card to Apple Wallet, you can use the card for Apple Pay transactions. Transferring funds between accounts is an entirely different process and some banks (card issuer and servicer) support transferring funds and some don’t. Most support staff don’t understand the differences and the limitations of transferring funds. Many prepaid cards support purchases, but not fund transfers. Basically, with Apple Cash, you’re trying to transfer funds from one prepaid card to another prepaid card (Apple Cash).

I personally have several debit cards that support Apple Pay, but don’t support transferring funds to Apple Cash.

Jun 24, 2023 7:28 AM in response to Jeff Donald

True, not in any bank's ATM. I haven't tried to withdraw cash from a prepaid card but I know ATM machines in some stores like CVS/Walmart Stores/7-11/Family Dollar stores have been assigned for prepaid cards, at least for my reload-free prepaid card with no monthly fee in NY. Maybe I should apply for a Green Dot Bank prepaid card and then it would allow adding Money to Apple Cash. Thanks for the info.

Workable Prepaid cards to add money to Apple Cash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.