iCloud app causing Windows 11 performance problems

I have an IBM laptop running Windows 11. After installing the iCloud app (cloud access for my iCloud files and the iCloud password extension), my computer suffers from incurable performance problems — it takes 2-3 minutes to open a file from Windows Explorer or, for that matter, to bring up a menu after right-clicking on an icon in Windows Explorer. Any ideas as to what would be causing the problem?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 11:44 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

May 15, 2024 10:40 AM in response to PaulStockman

Realize this thread is dated, but this exact issue happened to me recently. Windows 11 explorer would hang for up to 30 seconds when I tried to double-click a file or a folder. I checked the Administrative events in the Windows 11 Event Viewer and saw this DCOM error when i performed those operations.

The server {1454BEE1-EC6D-4D38-BCFD-1DA1F91BA46E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. I searched in the registry (using regedit.exe) with the server Id above and found that it was associated to the ICloud Photo context menu handler. I did NOT have photos set to sync in ICloud for Windows.

I turned on ICloud photo sync in ICloud for Windows and the issue went away.

iCloud app causing Windows 11 performance problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.