Audible functions on my watch

Before my update, I can pick a book on my phone and use my Bluetooth headphones to listen to it. My watch face would have the pause button or the play button so instead of tapping my earbud to turn it on and off or pause, I could do it right on my watch. now it keeps trying to download books into my watch and the screen that looks like the play and not play isn’t working and nothing looks the same help

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 8

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2023 3:00 AM

I had a similar problem. Eventually, I was able to get Audible to work on my Apple Watch to control the playback of the books. Configuration: watchOS 10.2, iOS 17.2.1, Audible 4.11.1.

My solution:

1) Reinstalled the Audible app on my Apple Watch using the Watch app. This caused the Audible app to start playing books from my iPhone again. Previously, it could only play books downloaded to the Watch. (I also deleted all books previously downloaded to the Watch, but this is probably unnecessary).

2) I enabled Audible as one of the "complications" for my Watch's "Face" for quick access. I use it instead of the Now Playing app, which apparently no longer works well with Audible.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2023 3:00 AM in response to loribelle16

I had a similar problem. Eventually, I was able to get Audible to work on my Apple Watch to control the playback of the books. Configuration: watchOS 10.2, iOS 17.2.1, Audible 4.11.1.

My solution:

1) Reinstalled the Audible app on my Apple Watch using the Watch app. This caused the Audible app to start playing books from my iPhone again. Previously, it could only play books downloaded to the Watch. (I also deleted all books previously downloaded to the Watch, but this is probably unnecessary).

2) I enabled Audible as one of the "complications" for my Watch's "Face" for quick access. I use it instead of the Now Playing app, which apparently no longer works well with Audible.

Jul 27, 2023 3:16 PM in response to loribelle16

I'm having the same issue. I spent hours on the phone with Apple and Audible a week ago. This started after an update too. They both had me uninstall the Audible App and reinstall it and then repair it with my watch - nothing we tried worked. I updated to IOS 16.6 today. I did get it to appear on my watch like it used to, however, it still doesn't sync correctly with the phone. This issue does not happen when playing music so it seems to be related to Audible. Hopefully they fix it soon. It's very annoying to need to have the phone nearby when listening to my book. But at least it's not just me and we know it's a software bug.

Audible functions on my watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.