Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Mic Problem During Bluetooth Hearing Aid Phone Calls

When I recently changed from iPhone X to 14, my phone call recipients could no longer hear me. They only hear me faintly. I have to switch off of Bluetooth to conduct the conversation. I have unpaired the aids (Beltone rechargeable). That didn’t help. Suggestions?

iPhone 14 Plus

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 5:35 AM

Thanks for tip. I have been having same problem with iPhone 14. Not clear to me how to shut off microphone in hearing aid settings. Where?

5 replies

Jul 10, 2023 4:13 PM in response to ddoenges

Hey there ddoenges,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

To get started, does your Beltone hearing aid have a built in microphone? If so, does the microphone work without issue when using other calling or video apps? If so, and if you try and record a voice memo using the steps in the following link with your hearing device connected, are you able to hear yourself without issues: Make a recording in Voice Memos on iPhone - Apple Support

Make a basic recording
1. To begin recording, tap the Record button.
2. To adjust the recording level, move the microphone closer to or farther from what you’re recording.
3. Tap the Stop button to finish recording.

If not able to hear yourself in the Voice Memo, you may need to reach out to Beltone support to look closer into your hearing device. You can reach out to Beltone's support directly from this link here: Support - Beltone

If you are able to hear yourself in the voice memo recording without issues, or if your hearing device doesn't have a built in microphone, have you tried restarting your iPhone since noticing the issue? If not, then while this may seem like a simple step, it can sometimes help with resolving some unexpected issues like this.

For help with restarting your iPhone, check out this link here: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

How to restart your iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or later
1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.

Keep us updated on what you find.

Take care.

Jul 12, 2023 7:34 AM in response to Chris_V89

Problem is resolved. Bluetooth calls use mic in the Beltone heating aids. I turned off mic in HA settings. Now uses mic on phone. This is a known problem affecting iPhone 12 and later, when “hands free” calling was implemented. So this now works the way it did with my iPhone X, which is acceptable. The hands free feature would allow call to be answered by button on the hearing aid, utilizing mic in hearing aid. This means I could accept and continue the call as long as I was within Bluetooth range, which potentially would be superior to staying within voice range of phone mic. Beltone is supposed to email me with how to implement that fix. More to follow.

Mic Problem During Bluetooth Hearing Aid Phone Calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.