Apple Music Airplay turns off Universal Control

TL:DR: Sending Apple Music from iPad to Macbook Pro turns of Universal control setting

Context: My desk setup includes my work Macbook Pro and my iPad. The Macbook is plugged into a hub that connects to an external monitor and to some external speakers.

I like to control the music using the iPad, and do so by Airplaying the Apple music to the Macbook, which then sends the signal through the hub, to the monitor, and finally along to the external speakers.

This all works fine, but when Universal Control is enabled and the Airplay is initiated, this terminates the Universal Control and switches to Airplaying the music. It doesn't just terminate the Universal Control, it switches off the appropriate setting on the Macbook's Advanced Display Setting menu. ("Allow your pointer and keyboard to move between any nearby Mac or iPad").

Manually reengaging that setting restores Universal Control just fine and the Airplay continues as expected.

Doesn't seem like a limitation, just a weird side effect of enabling the Airplay.

Kind of a bummer since it means pulling open Display settings multiple times a day just to reengage the Universal Control. Any fix?

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 7:27 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 18, 2023 9:58 AM in response to airplay_controller

Hello airplay_controller,

What you are describing is exactly how it works currently. You can have Universal Control, or you can AirPlay. Not both at the same time.

If you would like to make a suggestion to Apple regarding their products or a feature on an Apple product, the best way to do that is to go here: Product Feedback - Apple

Cheers.

Mar 31, 2024 4:52 PM in response to airplay_controller

Same problem here. I use headphone jacked in my Mac mini M2 (main / Sonoma) that receive Macbook Air's (second / Monterey) sound via Airplay and UC on both to share one mouse/keyboard.

Just turn on airplay to share audio from Air to Mini and UC turn off "Allow your pointer and keyboard to move between any nearby Mac or iPad" on Mac mini. You can click it to turn on again and it works fine. But this is very annoying, since I have to do this almost every day, at least one time.

Apple Music Airplay turns off Universal Control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.