Apple News Magazine Download Problems

I have been having trouble downloading magazines in Apple News+ on my iPad (Air 4th Gen, iOS 16.5.1 (c), with 10GB of free space). This has been happening since at least February. There is so no such problem on my iPhone where everything is working as it should. Note this problem applies to titles as varied as National Geographic, Top Gear, and Scientific American. My search of the forums has revealed people with similar problems going back some years but I was not able to find any satisfactory fixes. I would appreciate any help. It is maddening. Here is the problem as best as I can describe it.

• A magazine that should be downloaded still has a gray cloud.
  • Clicking the ... button under the magazine does not show the option to download the issue. These magazines have downloaded just fine on my phone so it is not a publisher or permissions issue.
  • Furthermore, if use the larger pink ... button that brings up the screen to select multiple issues, when I select the issues that should be downloaded, the download icon remains grayed out, implying that they are already downloaded.
  • However, in airplane mode I can't read these magazines and they do not appear in the "Downloaded" section of the app.
  • If I restart my iPad, all the magazines will automatically start downloading (as indicated by the red progress bar under each) and will work correctly, but only briefly. It seems that after a little bit of time (an hour or two tops), the problem reemerges, perhaps after the app is moved out of active memory or something.
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled the News app. That did not fix the issue. Neither has multiple iOS updates. Restarting is a temporary fix as noted above.

Rod's iPad Air 4G

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 6:45 AM

2 replies

May 15, 2024 6:39 AM in response to kittybrains

No, not exactly. What has worked is that I've just turned off automatic downloads. Now I download the magazines manually which is slightly more hassle but at least it works consistently. I have been doing it this way since shortly after I wrote this post (approx. a year ago) without any issues. I have not gone back to try the automatic downloads again so I have no idea if it somehow resolved itself at any point. I may just do that now that I know I can go back to this option if needed. Good luck!

Apple News Magazine Download Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.