Numbers Import settings

Hey, I'm copying some text and pasting it to Numbers.

About 4 times after pasting the text, a pop up window showed called Import settings, which I need. But now it doesn't show.

I'm importing the same thing, from same page, same form of the text etc. Nothing changed, just the Import setting don't show up anymore. How to get to this settings?

Thank you!

J

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 9:04 PM

13 replies

Aug 3, 2023 11:26 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hey Ian,

So basically I'm trying to copy few recommended Categories from ChatGPT. I get it like this:

And then I paste it to Numbers.

If the pop up doesn't show it end ups like 1st row (Home Decor, Gardening, Health & Wellness).

If pop up does show up, I can set that after "," the text will continue in next cell. Like it is in 2nd line (Electronics & Tech | Retail)

So I'm aiming to split also the 1st line, which has 3 categories. So I would like to have it in 3 seperate cells.

Does it make sense?

Please also note it's not probably about what text I'm copying as I copied this categories before and I didn't have this problem...

J

Aug 3, 2023 11:06 PM in response to JakLes

Hi J,

Yes, that feature applies only to imported tables, not pasted tables. (Doh! I should have paid more attention to your original post!)

JakLes wrote:

I'm copying some text and pasting it to Numbers.

My first thought was pasting a table containing text. Or am I wrong?

What is your overall aim? How do you want to adjust text?

A screen shot will help us to see what you see. Delete or hide sensitive data before taking a screen shot.

Regards,

Ian.

Aug 4, 2023 1:30 AM in response to JakLes

Hi J,

I am flummoxed. I tried changing commas into tab characters, then copying and pasting into a Numbers table. I see the same result. Everything in the same column.

The only way I can see (and this is a pain in the ****) is to copy the text, open TextEdit and paste.

In TextEdit, Menu > Format > Make Plain Text and Save.

Open the TextEdit document in Numbers to see the pop-up.

Tabs used to work 🤔.

It seems that Numbers has changed. I shall pass this "upstairs" and call on someone who is an expert at text to table.

Regards,

Ian.

Aug 4, 2023 5:42 AM in response to JakLes

I think part of the problem here is that csv format usually has the same number of items on each line. Here you have three in the first line and two in the second.

If I add a third item to the second line so the first two lines have the same number of items then I can paste into Numbers as expected.

SG

Sep 22, 2023 2:43 PM in response to JamesPea

The only time it works consistently is if there are the same number of commas in each row (i.e., it will expand into the same number of columns in each row). Otherwise it is hit or miss. But it seems to always work if the text is in a TextEdit document and you open the TextEdit document using Numbers. So it is inconsistent in how it is treating the same text. It also used to work for text separated by tabs and I have a script that takes CSV text and turns it into tab separated text for just that reason, but that no longer works either (probably coinciding with the "table import" idea). Apparently someone in the iWork development team messed around with this part of the code and screwed it up. I'm kinda tired of documenting bugs that never get fixed. Write up a bug report using the menu item Numbers->Provide Numbers Feedback.

May 14, 2024 8:33 PM in response to JakLes

This was not obvious solution! I’ve been struggling for months with this issue.

You may want to consider to create yourself a simple iOS Shortcut like the one I’m using now to get any text to be imported via options dialogue.

Let’s say we want the content of the cell to be displayed as table, so this workaround helps to make that happen within Numbers app only.

1. Double Tap the cell, select and copy the text.
  2. Create an empty table with MORE THAN ONE column.
  3. Select in column A as much rows as needed for each line of the text that was copied.
  4. Paste text into those cells and copy the WHOLE table.
  5. Run the Shortcut
  6. Paste the clipboard contents and choose an option for import.

Good luck, hope this will help

Paul

Numbers Import settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.