home pod and anylist

Hi. I’ve been using Anylist for a few years with my iPhone and my HomePods. I simply say “Hey Siri- add to grocery list”. Siri replied “what would you like to add?” Everything worked perfectly until the last 2 iOS updates. Now Siri continues to ask repeatedly “what would you like to add?” after I state what I wanted.

Homepods are up to date.

i contacted the Anylist developer and he said it’s Apple.

Interestingly it still works with my iPhone.

It’s just nice to be cooking and realize I need something and ask Siri to add it via the HomePod. It was also nice to do the same through CarPlay.

Any help is appreciated.

DG

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2024 1:39 PM

Sure thing

1. Open the Shortcuts app
  2. Find the AnyList shortcut and tap the circle with three dots to edit it
  3. Click on “Search for apps and actions”, type “Ask for input” and click on the result
  4. Click and drag this new action to the top of the shortcut, above the action from AnyList
  5. Edit the prompt to say whatever you like. I chose “What item”
  6. In the AnyList action, change the input to be the output from the “Ask for input” prompt. This is called “Provided Input”
  7. Click done to save your changes

Your shortcut should now look like the screenshot I posted above.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2024 1:39 PM in response to David New to Mac

Sure thing

1. Open the Shortcuts app
  2. Find the AnyList shortcut and tap the circle with three dots to edit it
  3. Click on “Search for apps and actions”, type “Ask for input” and click on the result
  4. Click and drag this new action to the top of the shortcut, above the action from AnyList
  5. Edit the prompt to say whatever you like. I chose “What item”
  6. In the AnyList action, change the input to be the output from the “Ask for input” prompt. This is called “Provided Input”
  7. Click done to save your changes

Your shortcut should now look like the screenshot I posted above.

Jan 5, 2024 4:24 AM in response to David New to Mac

Thanks @Afein10 for this solution.

I'd also like to give a huge shoutout to Jeff from Anylist. I had reported this problem to them in September but they were unable to troubleshoot as they didn't have any HomePods. He contacted me yesterday after seeing this thread.

My grocery lists can now be updated again from the kitchen without using my iPhone.

May 15, 2024 7:32 AM in response to Afein10

Hi, you were very helpful in January when I had trouble getting Siri to add to AnyList on my HomePods. I decided to create a second AnyList and also updated my HomePods last night. I followed your directions exactly as the first time, both in steps and words.

I can not add to the second list with Siri to the HomePods, although the first list still works!

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

David G

home pod and anylist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.