Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

How to fix randomly stuck Magic Mouse after Sonoma M1 Pro update

I've encountered problems with my Magic Mouse since updating to Sonoma. The mouse cursor behaves erratically; it doesn't freeze but doesn't move as intended. I've attempted several solutions, including:

• Restarting the computer
  • Clearing the NVRAM cache
  • Resetting Bluetooth
  • Disconnecting and removing the mouse

Despite these efforts, the issue persists. Presently, my CPU usage is below 20%, and I have 3 GB of RAM available. My device is an Apple M1 Pro, and I'm running Sonoma 14.0. There is no issue with the keyboard and touch bar. I am using an external monitor (keeping my laptop closed) and the touchpad is working fine when the issue occurs.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 9:38 AM

Fact - The issue never existed in the Beta Program... It only appeared in Live!!!

Fact -The very same thing happened with previous OS releases!!

Fact -This is not a USER issue!!!

Fact - There is nothing wrong with Peoples Mouse Or Touch pad

Fact - There is an Issue with the Production version of the OS with regards to Bluetooth connectivity under certain circumstances.

Fact IF you buy a new Mac right now you get a version of the new OS with has this Issue!! BUT if you don't upgrade your current OS on a stable system you will not have the issue.

Fact - you are entitled to your own opinion, but thankfully that will not change the FACTS.

Similar questions

110 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 9:38 AM in response to chdsl

Fact - The issue never existed in the Beta Program... It only appeared in Live!!!

Fact -The very same thing happened with previous OS releases!!

Fact -This is not a USER issue!!!

Fact - There is nothing wrong with Peoples Mouse Or Touch pad

Fact - There is an Issue with the Production version of the OS with regards to Bluetooth connectivity under certain circumstances.

Fact IF you buy a new Mac right now you get a version of the new OS with has this Issue!! BUT if you don't upgrade your current OS on a stable system you will not have the issue.

Fact - you are entitled to your own opinion, but thankfully that will not change the FACTS.

Oct 16, 2023 8:59 AM in response to Rigo_O86

Terrible Apple Support Again!!!!!!!!!!!

Being a long time user of Mac hardware this issues comes up after every new release of MacOs. Every time there is the standard reply stating this is to do with dust on the sensor..... At which point is someone going to own up to the fact that these issues repeatedly exist???? it normally takes a few updates to be released to get a resolution to the issue...!

Please Please stop trying to push the issue to user error!! Apple you need to own it and solve it!!!

The one thing that always seems to be a common factor is that it occurs when using Safari with high memory using pages... It is specific to Mouse and not bluetooth as when using an external touch pad connected at the same time to the same bluetooth connection as the mouse the touch pad works fine!!! but the mouse has Issues... This is the very reason why I own a bluetooth touch pad as well as a mouse.

Oct 13, 2023 3:18 AM in response to sudeeshn

Make sure the Magic Mouse is connected to Bluetooth to you Mac, then turn off your Magic Mouse. Now, turn on the Magic Mouse while pressing down on the left button (click button). This will clear the connectivity history of your Magic Mouse. I read this somewhere. I also put the Magic Mouse off at night.

Oct 24, 2023 8:46 PM in response to sudeeshn

Seems more like a bug fix is needed. This problem didn't occur until upgrading to Sonoma. I have two Logitech M585s that had no problems until the upgrade. Regardless of what other software was running, whether Photoshop or Safari etc. It's not just a 'time to clean the mouse' issue. I have times where the mouse won't unclick selected items and I have to restart. I didn't cause the problem, Apple needs to fix it.

Oct 26, 2023 8:30 AM in response to chdsl

That is a completely ridiculous comment... Yes I agree hardware needs to be replaced from time to time. But if you buy a new Mac today you get the latest OS which currently appears to have bugs. Additionally if the OS is in a production release then it isn't unreasonable to expect something as basic a mouse to work properly. So I think it is fair to blame the new OS especially when it has happened with every new OS release in previous years... Ask Google I'm sure you will quickly be able to confirm that. Yes no one forces anyone to upgrade... but with all the beta testing that is done... Which I actively take part in, to then have issues in the production release is disappointing.

I am a highly educated user, with years of experience, working in a technical arena and as such I can assure you this issue isn't because hardware needs replacing! If that was the case then it would never get fixed in a dot release and everyone would have to buy a new mouse every time a new version of the OS is released, which quite obviously isn't the case.... It is simply s frustrating Bluetooth issue that Apple will address at some point.

Oct 11, 2023 5:30 AM in response to sudeeshn

Hello Sudeeshn,

Thanks for providing us with those additional details. You've done a great job isolating the issue. To ensure that we're covering all of our bases, we also suggest completing the following steps:

"Clean the sensor

Find the sensor on the bottom of the Magic Mouse, then use compressed air to spray the sensor or use a cloth to wipe the sensor. If you use compressed air, do not invert the air can while you're spraying.

Check track mouse settings

In System Settings, you can change mouse tracking, double-click, and scrolling speed.

Check for interference

Learn how to resolve Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference."

More details here: How to keep your Magic Mouse tracking smoothly

If the issue persists, we suggest that you reach out to Apple for further assistance. You can follow this resource to connect with them: Get Support

Take care.

Mar 4, 2024 5:09 PM in response to sudeeshn

I also have this issue. Some additional info:

• this is a _cursor display_ issue, not a _cursor position_ issue. If you go to some website or some UI that has on mouse hover behaviour, like a button highlighting, you'll see that even though the cursor seems stationary on the screen, the hover behaviours show you where the _real_ cursor position is. It's moving just fine, but the visual indicator of the position isn't updating
  • I use fast user switching, and the cursor can be smooth on one user but broken on another. It doesn't seem like there's any consistency over which one is working and which one is broken
  • It seems pretty clearly related to an external monitor — unplugging it always fixes the problem
  • Turning off mouse cursor acceleration did nothing to solve the issue
  • Turning off animated wallpaper did nothing to solve the issue
  • Turning off the "share cursor between nearby Macs/iPads" and all the related nonsense in that menu did not solve the issue
  • This started happening with an upgrade to Sonoma

Oct 26, 2023 7:58 AM in response to chdsl

Chdsl, Absoluetly Not.... I have been using Macs for years and this issue always raises its head after every OS release.... if you roll back to the previous version the problem is resolved..... No Cleaning of mouse required!!!

I have literally experienced this exact problem after every major OS release for the last 15 years

Jun 7, 2024 12:53 AM in response to Eddie Deighton

Yes, that's right, Apple is getting worse and worse step by step. But because they are so big, they laugh at people like us who realize this. They couldn't care less.

Unfortunately, the only thing they can think of is to make everything more and more complicated. Even more functions and even more functions, but keeping the old ones. When I look at Apple's system settings now, there is hardly any difference to Windows.

Until two or three years ago, I converted countless people and persuaded them to use Apple. I haven't been doing that for a long time now.

And me taking the time to write this is a waste of time. I did it anyway! Haha

Oct 1, 2023 2:37 PM in response to sudeeshn

Hi sudeeshn,

It seems you're having some trouble with your Magic Mouse tracking and we want to help.

The symptoms you're describing seem align with an issue with dust or debris on the sensor.

Try cleaning out the sensor with compressed air as detailed on the Apple cleaning page:

If your Magic Mouse or Magic Mouse 2 isn’t tracking properly, there might be a hair or other debris on the sensor lens. Turn the mouse over and inspect the sensor window using a bright light. If you see debris, use compressed air to gently clean the sensor window.

How to clean your Apple products

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Oct 11, 2023 1:05 AM in response to Rigo_O86

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I don't think the issue is with cleaning the mouse. It appears that the problem is more severe when I use live-moving wallpaper with Sonoma OS. My mouse used to work perfectly before the update. When I use normal wallpaper, the issue occurs less frequently. I tried using a Logitech mouse (with a Bluetooth USB dongle) and it worked fine. I also tried safe mode the issue was there when i enabled the live wallpaper. My touchpad and external mouse worked fine when the magic mouse was stuck.

How to fix randomly stuck Magic Mouse after Sonoma M1 Pro update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.