Get rid of “some iCloud data isn’t syncing” notification in settings

After updating my 8th gen iPad to iOS 17.0.3, an annoying notification popped up in settings that iCloud data isn’t syncing and prompts you to “resume data sync”. Since I don’t use iCloud and would gladly delete it for the minimal space, turning it on is pointless for me. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any way to just get rid of this notification. I have searched settings and restarted the device to no avail. Does anyone know how to get rid of this? It’s incredibly annoying for the settings icon to keep displaying a red 1 in the corner, which usually denotes an important iOS update, but now endlessly prompts you to use a service that you don’t want.

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2023 9:33 AM

Hi njzues,

I have an M1 Mac and get the exact same annoying message. I have turned off every conceivable iCloud data link and the message just won't stop. It may sound a bit silly, but I'm seriously considering ditching my Mac and just using my PC. Too bad, because there are some very clever things I like about the Mac OS.

If anyone can help me to turn off this persistent annoyance it would be much appreciated.

Best

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2023 9:33 AM in response to Ali_E1

Hi njzues,

I have an M1 Mac and get the exact same annoying message. I have turned off every conceivable iCloud data link and the message just won't stop. It may sound a bit silly, but I'm seriously considering ditching my Mac and just using my PC. Too bad, because there are some very clever things I like about the Mac OS.

If anyone can help me to turn off this persistent annoyance it would be much appreciated.

Best

Oct 18, 2023 12:26 PM in response to njzeus

Hey njzeus,

It's virtually impossible to use your iPad without using iCloud because it integrates into nearly every aspect of the tablet. If you see the error to resume data sync on your iPad it is because an iCloud feature is enabled that is attempting to sync with your iPad. Does it give you a clue about the data that it is attempting to sync? (e.g. Photos, iCloud Drive, Contacts, etc.)

If it does, and you do not want to use iCloud for that service, you should be able to trace it back and disable the specific service at Settings > [your name] > iCloud.

The Settings app and iCloud services are system settings and there is no way to disable notifications for either. Your best option is to find the data it is attempting to sync and disable it.

Kindest Regards.

May 5, 2024 4:38 AM in response to njzeus

I went into the area where I was receiving the message proceeded to delete anything that was in iCloud it made me set up new passwords for my MacBook and iPhone and the message went away. Simply go to that message area and follow whatever it prompts removing everything and then turn off iCloud.

Get rid of “some iCloud data isn’t syncing” notification in settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.