Apple Car play volume changing issues

I have a new 2023 Chevy Colorado and use wireless Apple Car Play. If I’m listening to music at a certain volume and a call comes through or I listen to a text message and then return to the music the volume level is much lower. It hasn’t changed as far as the visual reading of the volume level bar in the display but the actual volume is considerably lower. So now I’m forced to turn up the volume physically to listen to the music. I might get another phone call and hang up and sometimes it stays the same or other times it now comes back extremely loud matching the volume level showing on the volume bar. It also does the same thing if I turn the truck off and then restart it later without remembering to physically adjust the volume level back down before I turn the truck off. Any suggestions to resolve this issue. Thanks

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 7:19 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 18, 2023 2:35 PM in response to Otto241

Hello Otto241,

We understand that you're running into issue with the audio volume when streaming from your iPhone using CarPlay. Which iOS version are you currently running? Go to Settings > General > About for the version. Check out the steps in this link and get back to us with your results: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

"Check your wired or wireless connection and your iPhone settings

If your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS, follow these steps—checking CarPlay after each step:

1. Check your connection to your CarPlay stereo:
    • If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
    • If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on on your iPhone under Settings > Bluetooth. Then go to Settings > Wi-Fi, and make sure that Wi-Fi is also turned on. Tap the CarPlay network, and check that Auto-Join is turned on.

2.If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display and select it.

3.Restart your iPhone and your car. 

4.Make sure that Siri is on.

5.If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions. If Content & Privacy Restrictions is on, tap Allowed Apps, and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.

6.Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.

7.Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support."

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2023 3:12 PM in response to Sean_B1

I’m running IOS 17.0.3 on a new 15 Pro Max , and I forgot to mention it also happens using Apple Maps. Just today while listening to a podcast when the navigation directions pause the podcast and then return the audio volume is significantly lower. Now when I turn it up to listen again because it’s so low, when the navigation pauses it again, and it comes back the volume will stay the same and everything is fine. Fine until ( and it did it today) after coming back from directions the volume is blasting because now it’s actually playing at the real volume I have the audio set at. It’s like if I’m comfortable listening at level 10 and then the issue happens, I have to turn it up to level 20 just to hear it again at the level 10 I was comfortable with to start with . So if I don’t remember to turn the volume down when I turn the truck off it will blast at the setting I left it on. It’s a radio in a new 2023 Chevy Colorado ZR2 so I’m not sure of the software version it’s running. I will check

Apr 5, 2024 10:53 AM in response to Otto241

I’ve been experiencing the exact issue in my 2023 GMC Canyon. It is completely random. I had been excited about finally getting car play and it is such a disappointment. I took an 11 hour trip last week, got tired of constantly adjusting the volume and switched to the built in google maps and XM radio. I hope they correct it soon.

May 16, 2024 2:32 PM in response to Otto241

Same here. It’s super irritating and random. iPhone 14 Pro with IOS 17.5. Only a wireless CarPlay issue. I have 2024 GMC AT4X 2500 HD. If you are not on a call when you tap phone app to bring in focus volume drops. Click safari or anything else and volume comes back. But other random times changing screens volume goes down and randomly later comes back very loud because in the meantime the vehicle volume was turned up so you could hear it. It’s definitely a problem. Hope gets fixed soon because I’m wireless CarPlay in the truck is real nice other than this issue.

Apple Car play volume changing issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.