Duration of Support iPad 7th Gen

So since I got this iPad as a gift i was just wondering how much longer until this can’t get no more updates, since this is almost 4 years old and I want to upgrade but I would want to wait until this cannot get anymore updates :)

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 2:44 PM

Apple does not pre-announce end-of-support for its devices. For the most part, history to date demonstrates that, from initial release, most iPad models receive five to seven years of mainstream update and hardware support.

Update support typically ends when the device hardware (e.g., CPU/SoC and available RAM) is insufficient to provide adequate performance for a major version.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2023 2:44 PM in response to rythxms

Apple does not pre-announce end-of-support for its devices. For the most part, history to date demonstrates that, from initial release, most iPad models receive five to seven years of mainstream update and hardware support.

Update support typically ends when the device hardware (e.g., CPU/SoC and available RAM) is insufficient to provide adequate performance for a major version.

May 15, 2024 11:59 AM in response to rythxms

With my iPad Mini 4, when IOS 16 was released I started to be left behind. My iPad Mini 4 shipped the first of August 2019.

I only realized how seriously obsolete it was when HomeKit quit working. The new HomeKit architecture requires IOS 16, so my a little less than 5 year old iPad is obsolete.

Given less than 5 years from purchase to major Apple app not being supported, my next tablet will be a cheapo Android as I won't be under any illusion it will support major Apple components and I will be serious money ahead. It is getting harder and harder to want to stay in the so-called Apple ecosystem. I understand Apple has revenue growth problems, but solving that on the backs of existing users is getting nutty.

May 15, 2024 12:15 PM in response to weewilly1

weewilly1 wrote:

With my iPad Mini 4, when IOS 16 was released I started to be left behind. My iPad Mini 4 shipped the first of August 2019.

You failed to mention Apple introduced the iPad Mini 4 in September, 2015. The iPad Mini 5, which supports iPadOS 17, had already been introduced when you purchased what you must have known was a previous version.

Duration of Support iPad 7th Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.