Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPhone 15 Pro Max not charging with 5W Apple charger

I am using the Apple 5W charger with a UGREEN USB A to USB C cable and my iPhone will charge for a couple of minutes, and then just stop. When I use an Apple 10W charger, it works but I would like to charge it more slowly. I want to use a slower charger to charge my phone overnight to preserve the battery.

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 9:41 PM

2 replies

Nov 13, 2023 11:09 PM in response to mrleaw

well they stopped selling 5watt chargers, so maybe newer phones requires a higher current before it triggers the charging system

charging it with a lower watt overnight will not be better for the battery

have you read

About the battery and performance of iPhone 11 and later - Apple

Support

and maybe iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

and Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

May 15, 2024 9:03 AM in response to Rudegar

It stands to reason that lowering the wattage at which you charge your phone will be better for the battery by limiting the heat generated while charging.

“A battery warms up as it charges, which can reduce its lifespan. To reduce the effect of heat and prevent overheating, iPhone gradually reduces the charging current as the battery approaches full charge.”

Charge and maintain your iPhone battery - Apple Support

Maybe the benefit is not noticeable within the first year or so, but I would imagine this small change would have a greater effect over 1000+ charging cycles. Apple claims the battery in 15th gen phones should still have 80% health after 1000 charging cycles. This ends up being about 3 years of one charge a day… right when they want you to upgrade?

@mrleaw have you found a charging set up that works at 5W?

iPhone 15 Pro Max not charging with 5W Apple charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.