How to Fix Blank Footnotes Screen in Draft View After Sonoma Update in Word 16.79.1

I just updated from Ventura to Sonoma 14.1.1. I use Word 16.79.1. When editing many footnotes I normally open the doc in draft view and click footnotes, in order to be able to see all of the footnotes at once.

Now, I can open draft view fine. However, when I click on footnotes I see a blank screen with the word footnotes. (I have attached a screenshot). Ideas?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 18, 2023 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2023 8:50 AM

This worked for me:

Uninstall Word.

Do not load the version in the app store.

Use this link: https://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/C1297A47-86C4-4C1F-97FA-950631F94777/MacAutoupdate/Microsoft_Word_16.78.23100802_Updater.pkg

39 replies

Nov 27, 2023 10:09 PM in response to colleenmaura

Can someone, anyone please help here. I have just posted the same thing on the Microsoft forum after spending about 4 hours trying to sort this - reinstalling Word etc. I have a book due in two days - great use of time. The footnote pane flashes for a second and then returns to that grey nonsense. Show Notes does the same thing. There is a bug somewhere.

Jan 1, 2024 5:12 AM in response to colleenmaura

Ever since I updated my MacBook to Sonoma I have had this problem. Just DL'd latest update Jan 2024 and still I cannot see footnotes in draft view. Only the grey page. I have submitted to Ms and to Apple so many times. It is a terrible service. There is no work around that works. Tried all the suggestions. I have advised everyone I know not to update to Sonoma. FIX IT PLEASE.

Mar 5, 2024 2:38 PM in response to colleenmaura

I just purchased a brand new IMac as my old one, which worked just fine, but had compatibility issues due to updates, so it forced my hand. I am an academic/writer like many on this thread, so a large portion of my work is writing in Word (in draft). I am writing a book, and when I tried to enter or to see existing footnotes/endnotes, they flashed and then a large grey field appeared. I then found this thread. The reinstall did not work for me (I tried 2x). I scheduled a session with Apple was "upgraded" to Tech then to a Tech supervisor, who basically told me "too bad, nothing we can do here, call Microsoft." As others have noted, neither MS nor Apple will do anything. I am beyond infuriated. The callous disregard for a systemic problem, caused my Apple changing their operating system that they in turn, will do NOTHING to help, is infuriating. I am speechless. And stuck.

May 16, 2024 9:28 AM in response to kev.esteves

Given these statements above I finally updated on my Mac (after moving to previous versions, and then ignoring months of update invitations) to Version 16.85 and it seems to be working well. I appreciate people posting here since I wouldn't have bothered to shift for months if these statements above hadn't been made or come into my email. The hassle of updating only to have to revert to previous versions would have been a pain. But so far, all good.

How to Fix Blank Footnotes Screen in Draft View After Sonoma Update in Word 16.79.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.