Sonoma – Bluetooth devices keep disconnecting

Since updating my Mac Studio M1 Ultra to Sonoma just yesterday I've been noticing that my 3 Bluetooth devices – Apple keyboard, Apple Trackpad and Magic Mouse – keep disconnecting from Bluetooth after short periods of inactivity.

Has anyone else been seeing this and is there a way to fix it?

Thank you

Mac Studio, macOS 14.2

Posted on Dec 24, 2023 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2024 1:22 AM

Just wanted to update this and mention that I'm still noticing Bluetooth problems on the latest 14.3 update. Basically my 3 Apple devices (mouse, trackpack and keyboard) disconnect from Bluetooth after periods of inactivity. For example, when I come back and sit at the Mac in the morning I find that all 3 devices have disconnected. I don't ever put the Mac into sleep mode (that's another thread), but instead I just put the display to sleep. I have also noticed that the display randomly wakes up due to one of the Bluetooth devices randomly disconnecting and reconnecting. None of this happened before Sonoma.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2024 1:22 AM in response to benekk

Just wanted to update this and mention that I'm still noticing Bluetooth problems on the latest 14.3 update. Basically my 3 Apple devices (mouse, trackpack and keyboard) disconnect from Bluetooth after periods of inactivity. For example, when I come back and sit at the Mac in the morning I find that all 3 devices have disconnected. I don't ever put the Mac into sleep mode (that's another thread), but instead I just put the display to sleep. I have also noticed that the display randomly wakes up due to one of the Bluetooth devices randomly disconnecting and reconnecting. None of this happened before Sonoma.

Jan 31, 2024 7:06 AM in response to RPAEA

I don’t think you got a lemon, I think there’s an actual issue in Sonoma Apple either won’t acknowledge or is staying quiet about. I have the newest Mac Studio from this past June, a fresh install Bluetooth works flawlessly on Ventura, but as soon as upgrading, it’s a world of problems. My best theory is something in Sonoma is limiting the BT range.

Mar 10, 2024 7:32 AM in response to benekk

Hi everyone.

I moved to Sonoma 14.4 and still got the Bluetooth issu. This time, it happened once when I didn't use the mouse, keyboard and/or external trackpad. Yesterday I was watching a documentary when I had to pause. I realized that they were all disconnected. I got to click and press several times before each of one reconnect. Very annoying.

Dec 28, 2023 10:11 PM in response to benekk

OK, so this is getting ridiculous, my 3 Bluetooth devices – Magic Mouse, Trackpad and Keyboard – just won't stay connected, the Mac keeps dropping the Bluetooth connection.

I tried unpairing them all and re-paring, but it hasn't changed anything. This must be a Sonoma issue because everything was fine up until I updated a few days ago. I regret doing the Sonoma update now, I should've just stayed on Ventura a bit longer.

Dec 25, 2023 12:18 AM in response to benekk

Just to add to the above, something I've just noticed whilst my display was in sleep was that the display randomly just woke up and the image of the Magic Mouse Connect was on the screen showing that the mouse was connected to Bluetooth.

There's definitely something odd going on with Sonoma and Bluetooth which wasn't happening in Ventura.

Mar 20, 2024 10:40 AM in response to benekk

Another bad experience today, I had the problem twice. The last one, I was writing in Pages and started delete some characters, but then every bluetooth devices (i.e. Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, Apple TrackPad,) disconnected once again. But this time, it got stuck on my last key pressed; delete! So, it was deleting my text right in front of me 😝. I closed all bluetooth devices and fought back with the deleting process with my laptop keyboard.

Command+Z saved my life. I wander if there's someone at Apple who is taking care? I can't believe anyone at Apple didn't notice or had this problem.

Jan 31, 2024 7:20 AM in response to jonathonbenjamin

I hope it's just a software issue with Sonoma and Apple just not prioritizing this. Otherwise, it's incredibly disappointing and I will have to connect the Magic Trackpad via cable since that the only way it works as expected. Smooth and no hiccups when connected by cable. Which completely defeats the entire purpose of the product being wireless. LOL

Sonoma – Bluetooth devices keep disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.