Upgrading an iPod classic storage from 160 GB to 1 TB

I want to upgrade my ipod classic from 160gb to 1tb or maybe 2tb. Is this possible and advisable? I think some ebay sellers say they sell such upgrades

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPod Classic

Posted on Dec 25, 2023 10:32 AM

7 replies

Dec 25, 2023 12:11 PM in response to johnnymack59

Officially, any iPod hard drive upgrade after purchasing is not supported.

The device was discontinued in 2014, and is now out of warranty and unserviceable by Apple, so you or a third party can pry it open at your own risk, and try to tinker with it. This forum may not be the place to get advise on that. eBay isn’t free of scammers, so be suspicious of any claims made there.

Dec 26, 2023 3:55 AM in response to johnnymack59

Be aware that the 6th generation iPod Classic in 160GB capacity will not recognise more than 128GB, not matter what size of storage you add. I don't know why this is, but I had a 6th gen Classic, which is how I know of this issue.

A 6th gen Classic will have one of the following sets of letters at the end of its serial number: Y5N, YMU, YMV, or YMX.

I am not aware whether any other models of Classic are affected (such as the 7th generation Classic 160GB, or the 6th generation 80GB model is affected).

Upgrading an iPod classic storage from 160 GB to 1 TB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.