Apple software update attempt bricked 1st gen HomePod with no resolution from Apple support aside from replacement for more than the cost of a new 2nd gen HomePod

I've owned a first generation HomePod since 2020. It is out of warranty and after updating to iOS 17.0 or 17.1, it began having issues where Siri would not play music on command. It would return with "I'm having trouble connecting to Apple music" or something close to that. When I looked at a software update description on my phone for, I believe, iOS 17.1.1, it claimed that it would fix this issue (thought this issue does not appear on the list of changes here). The Home app struggled to install the new update. At times it appeared to begin the download and then would stop. Other times it would say it was up-to-date, but investigating the current software version on the HomePod revealed it was not. Finally, the advice I found was to reset the HomePod by unplugging for 10 seconds, plugging back in, waiting 10 seconds and then touching the top and holding until a red swirl appeared and Siri would announce that the HomePod would be reset. But the announcement never came and now all it does is a spinning red swirl.

After literal hours on multiple calls with Apple support with a very nice support person, submitting multiple videos of the issue, which he passed on to engineering, and a couple weeks of lapsed time to accommodate their engineers' schedules and my support person's vacation time (which was not an issue for me, but just wanted to give a sense of why it took so long), they claimed it was a hardware issue. The only resolution offered was repair, which according to my support person, meant full replacement, since they wouldn't be spending the time to actually repair my hardware (they apparently keep the parts for hardware for up to 5 years after it is last sold), and would be building a brand new 1st gen HomePod as a solution for me. I was very unhappy with this solution as I would never have updated an almost fully functional HomePod if I would have known Apple's faulty software was going to brick it. But I inquired about the "repair" cost, and was told it would cost $330 for a replacement 1st gen HomePod. A brand new 2nd gen HomePod costs $299.

It must feel pretty awful to be the support person who has to suggest this type of resolution. My support person was very kind and patient and I let him know I was upset with Apple's policy in this situation and not with him. I've seen other forum posts, both here and around other forums of other people with this issue, and I believe if this were a bit more widespread, Apple would be enjoying another class action lawsuit. It's totally unacceptable that their software bricks a $300 piece of hardware and the customer is left holding the bag.

As far as I can tell, this is not a fixable issue even for the people who are doing the work that Apple won't, like Nic, who I found just googling "HomePod repair".

I'm posting here, not because I have a particular question, because I have exhausted any avenue Apple has to offer, but for people to commiserate and to let Apple know this isn't okay. Also because when I mentioned seeing lots of people with similar issues to my support person, he asked what search terms I used, and then he claimed not to be seeing people with similar issues and when he did they were older versions of the OS.

If anyone has had success in fixing this issue, I would love hear about it. But I won't hold my breath.

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 3:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2023 3:29 AM

Me too, I've had the same issue

Similar questions

8 replies

May 15, 2024 6:52 PM in response to Jack Frost

it’s like you read my mind. repeated verbatim what happened to my OG homepod 1 with the 17.0 update. it’s been stuck on 17.0 (21J354) for months

so i thought today lets reset see if will update correctly. huge mistake as it connected while behaving buggy - siri doesn’t work on it - but at least it played. now it’s bricked exactly as you describe.

while my other two OGs are updating fine to 17.4 (today) but one of those two won’t update yet stuck on 17.3 but that happened before and it did eventually update. does what you describe - starts to download then says its up to date but its not.

according to Nic i’ve now got 300 dollar paperweight. these homepods have always had buggy software. apple should be ashamed of itself for not replacing our units. recommend NO ONE buy ANY homepod. go with third party bluetooth speaker. you will regret the software it will frustrate you while when they work correctly they do sound delightful

[Edited by Moderator]

May 15, 2024 6:41 PM in response to Jack Frost

The only reasonably priced repair solution is the one you linked https://nicsfix.com/. So far I’ve been fortunate not to have my 4 OGs get bricked. I’m aware of the problem and am very nervous installing software updates.

There is one thing you can try first, but it’s not guaranteed:

• You should u group any stereo paired HomePods first.
  • Unplug HomePod for over 24 hrs
  • Plug back in - wait 10 seconds
  1. Unplug HomePod or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini, wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch and hold your finger to the top of HomePod.
  3. The white spinning light will turn red. Keep your finger down. 
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger.

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

Feb 19, 2024 6:37 PM in response to Jack Frost

Exactly the same issue for me, fist ‘trouble connecting to apple music’ and ending up as a paperweight with a red spinning circle.

The only thing I haven’t done yet is trying to get Apple to fix it and after your feedback here I doubt I’d get anywhere either, especially since I had a similar experience with my AirPods Max and had to shell out an exuberant amount of money to have them fixed and I only did that because I rely on them for work, daily.

I’ll check in later if there is some progress to report.

Feb 19, 2024 10:04 PM in response to Jack Frost

It might take a couple of tries at resetting before it works. In a discussion some time ago it was claimed that a "bricked" original Homepod came back to life a couple of weeks after being disconnected from power.

Regarding the original Music issue, I just posted this advice in another discussion:

Try changing the Recognise My Voice settings, including any family members (with their iPhones). Turning them off then on (or on, off, on) might fix it.

Apple software update attempt bricked 1st gen HomePod with no resolution from Apple support aside from replacement for more than the cost of a new 2nd gen HomePod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.