Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Apple Music Preview creates Windows 11 blue screen crash when opening

Hi,

I installed the Apple Music Preview app from Microsoft Store in early December 2023. Since then, I have been experiencing blue screen errors on my new machine, but I didn’t know the cause. It’s now 07/01/2024 and I have finally identified the problem: it’s the Apple Music Preview app on Windows 11. I just tested it and out of 10 times opening the app, the computer showed a blue screen 8 times. This is a serious issue because iTunes is not letting me listen to my music anymore. Also, this app hasn’t had any update since I installed it, which doesn’t make sense, because iTunes used to be updated regularly.

My Machine Specs:

OS - Windows 11 Pro with all the updates

CPU - I9 13900K

Motherboard - ASUS Prime Z790-P Wi-Fi Intel LGA 1700 ATX DDR5

GPU - MSI Nvidia RTX 4090

RAM -64GB of DDR5 6000MHZ - XPG RGB

Hard Drives - 2x 1TB Samsung 990 M2

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 7, 2024 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2024 3:02 AM

In Nvidia Control Panel, go to “Manage 3D settings”. Under “Program settings” Press “Add” and “browse” and paste the file path to your Apple Music app (.exe). Hereafter, choose “Integrated Graphics”.

If you can’t find the path to Apple Music, open the app and go to “Task Manager”. Search for Apple Music, right click it and open the file location.

I don’t know why, but seems like there is some problem between dGPU’s and Apple Music, so running it on the iGPU might resolve it. At least, this fixed it for me.

if it doesn’t work, try downloading something like “Everything” for finding files, and copy all file paths/folders that relate to Apple Music.

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2024 3:02 AM in response to xxismaxx

In Nvidia Control Panel, go to “Manage 3D settings”. Under “Program settings” Press “Add” and “browse” and paste the file path to your Apple Music app (.exe). Hereafter, choose “Integrated Graphics”.

If you can’t find the path to Apple Music, open the app and go to “Task Manager”. Search for Apple Music, right click it and open the file location.

I don’t know why, but seems like there is some problem between dGPU’s and Apple Music, so running it on the iGPU might resolve it. At least, this fixed it for me.

if it doesn’t work, try downloading something like “Everything” for finding files, and copy all file paths/folders that relate to Apple Music.

Jan 9, 2024 4:27 AM in response to xxismaxx

Hi,

I experience the same issue. The BSOD has code 0x119 (VIDEO SCHEDULER something).

It does that when opening Apple Music Preview some of the time, not every time.

Specs:

Win11 up to date,

AMD 5500X and 7500F

Gygabyte B550-DS3H and ASUS X670E-CREATOR

OS drive : Optane 905p

NVIDIA RTX 4090

No overclocking.

I think the issue might be between the NVIDIA driver and the app.

It started in December, and I'm right now testing a GPU driver from October and it doesn't solve the issue, so it might be due to an update to the app rolled around December. I tried Windows setting hardware scheduling ON or OFF. No change.

Apr 28, 2024 4:47 AM in response to xxismaxx

Hey, y'all. I've been experiencing this issue for quite some time, and it's unfortunate that Apple hasn't released a software update to address it.

However, for NVIDIA users, a fix that I've found that works is messing with NVIDIA control panel program settings for Apple Music. It's in the Manage 3D settings > Program Settings, and in the drop-down select Apple Music, for me, it appears as "appleinc.applemusicwin_[bunch of characters and numbers] (Apple Music). From here, I turned off V-Sync, originally it's checked for "use the global setting." I also turned off other settings that were controlled by global settings and figured Apple Music doesn't need all that, haha. The fix works in that it doesn't cause BSOD, but I have to do this every time I boot up my PC to prevent the BSOD, which is a bit annoying. I hope this helps someone!

Mar 31, 2024 4:23 PM in response to xxismaxx

Well boys, since someone said they haven’t seen anyone have any issues that has AMD… I sadly have been the culprit. It’s 100% on apples end. Will give me BSOD about 6-7/10 times. Windows is up to date, drivers up to date. Seems like it’s time to finally swap over to Spotify because at this point (literally not a single update since I downloaded the preview a year ago) it seems almost deliberate.

RTX 3060

Ryzen 5600X

Apr 16, 2024 11:49 PM in response to xxismaxx

This is an easy to replicate issue in a developer's environment! I'm surprised the It's not fixed yet!

It could be a problem in Windows or Nvidia Drivers with the hardware acceleration. Apps shouldn't be able to crash entire OS.

I'm not sure who should investigate this issue. Is it Apple, Nvidia or Microsoft?

As an end-user, this is highly annoying and I use Spotify for now since I can't risk losing my work just to listen to music and crash my computer!

Apr 27, 2024 2:04 PM in response to xxismaxx

This has crashed my brand new system, just built in April of 2024.

Windows 11 Pro (Updated 4/27)

Motherboard: MSI Z790 Edge Wifi

CPU: i7-14700k

GPU: MSI RTX 4080

All drivers are fully up to date as of 4/27/2024.

Scenario: (in this order)

1st - Playing a video game on the RTX 4080

2nd - Begin Live streaming on Twitch using iGPU (UHD 770) Intel Graphics - QSV H.264 Encoder

3rd - Open Apple music to listen to my Apple One subscription.

Immediately upon attempting application RUN for Apple Music

BSOD - Video Scheduler Error.

Windows 11 Graphics Settings Enabled;

• Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling: ON
  • Variable refresh rate: ON
  • Optimizations for windowed games: ON

It seems like Apple Music is trying to take priority over a video / graphics / display process, and Windows doesn't know how to handle it and throws its hands in the air. Apple Music appears to be GPU bound, which is upsetting graphics workloads.

Spotify does not do this, Spotify must be CPU bound. Apple Dev's need to fix this. I'm uninstalling Apple Music player app and will be switching to the Web Player for now I guess.

https://music.apple.com/us/browse

Mar 31, 2024 9:27 PM in response to xxismaxx

I didn't find a solution but rather an interesting confirmation to the issue. I have an Asus ROG RTX 4080 laptop, and the BSOD problem only occurs when I have the MUX Switch or (Ultimate as Asus software calls it) active. For those who don't know, laptops usually have a GPU (NVIDIA in my case) and an iGPU in the Intel processor I use. What activating the MUX Switch does is make the entire laptop use exclusively the NVIDIA RTX 4080 GPU I have.

The BSOD never occurs if I have the MUX Switch turned off (That is to say Standard), so if you have desktop setups and video output occurs solely from the NVIDIA GPU, you'll likely encounter the BSOD almost every time you open Apple Music.

Apple Music Preview creates Windows 11 blue screen crash when opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.