sonoma bug prevents printer driver from working properly

With my Epson printer (SC P700), print settings have started reverting to default values not only every time I print a file, but every time I open the print settings dialogue to look at them. Saving settings doesn't save them. Also, choosing my supposedly-saved Printer Presets (which once worked) will set the right paper size but that's all. Epson tech support says this is a bug in Mac OS starting in v13 Ventura and continuing in 14 Sonoma and until Apple creates a patch there is nothing they or I can do about it. (I'm printing with Photoshop v25.3.1 on a 2023 M2 MacBook Pro, running OS 14.2.1 which I upgraded to thinking that it might fix my problem with OS 13.)

I'm writing this in hopes of getting Apple's attention to the issue, don't expect there's a workaround.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 1:28 PM

Apple doesn't give a s**T. This has been a problem since Ventura. I am still on Monterey as a result. Apple and or Epson refuse to deal with it. It used to be real photographic and design professionals turned to apple but when this happened, it completely broke my trust. I have no idea what will happen next. I hate windblows and linux is useless for photographers so what are we to do?

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2024 1:28 PM in response to Paul-ny

Apple doesn't give a s**T. This has been a problem since Ventura. I am still on Monterey as a result. Apple and or Epson refuse to deal with it. It used to be real photographic and design professionals turned to apple but when this happened, it completely broke my trust. I have no idea what will happen next. I hate windblows and linux is useless for photographers so what are we to do?

Jan 12, 2024 3:08 PM in response to Kobolt

Kobolt--That is odd, your problem with Epson driver v13. I installed Sonoma thinking it might help my saved-settings problem (!) and then went looking for a new printer driver, but the Epson website didn't provide one for OS 14. Epson tech support told me not to install their Mac OS 14 driver because they are having problems with it (I guess the problems led to their taking it off the website) but to install the next newest one, the one they provide for OS 13. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Epson driver 12.6.2, and while of course my settings problem is still there, I can make prints, which it sounds like you can't. How is it you can't run 12.6 on Sonoma, when I can? Also I have found a couple of other things about my problem but will post it in reply to a more relevant comment.

Jan 12, 2024 5:28 PM in response to Paul-ny

Thank you, Paul-ny.

With the caveat that I am not that familiar with Adobe apps, there are issues with apps that don't write their settings when saving a preset. Apple apps, like TextEdit and Contacts, don't write the settings in their application panels to the print settings. (For instance, TextEdit doesn't save "Print Header and Footer" or "Rewrap contents to fit page.")

This could be what is happening with Adobe. But if this worked with Adobe apps before Ventura, this could be due to Apple redoing the print dialog in Ventura. ??

Since Adobe has their own dialog, maybe the changes in their dialog aren't saved? But the settings in Apple's dialog are? Again, I am not familiar enough with Adobe apps. Is Adobe not telling Apple what the settings are when going from Adobe's to Apple's print dialog?

Another example of how screwy presets can be is Pages, when trying to save the paper size. Since Pages puts the paper size in their dialog, and it's not in the system dialog that is put up after theirs, there's no way to save the paper size.

So the difference in what applications show and where in the print dialog(s?) may also be a factor here.

When I do a *simple* test in TextEdit of saving only the paper size (using Apple's menu for paper sizes, not a vendor panel), I see the paper size set correctly when selecting the preset.

Epson's comment that the problem is with Apple may be just their way of saying it's not their fault? They are not going to an app by app comparison.

But if the Epson settings are correctly saved and restored from the vendor panels (Printer Features or Printer Options) in the standard Apple apps (Safari, Mail, TextEdit and others, with the exception of their respective app panels), then it's probably not an Epson issue.

I realize this doesn't help solve anything, but maybe this is helpful?

May 14, 2024 1:31 PM in response to rcochx

rcochx: I didn't resolve anything, I sort of gave up, and fortunately haven't had to do any printing that demanded accuracy recently. I don't even recall whether I could print a Photoshop image with the settings the way I put them, but I think I could, it's just that all the printer settings would revert to some undesirable default instantly after that. What I remember finding as a very inconvenient workaround was that I could go into Preview (other Mac apps worked as well) and start to print some random image, set up all of the variables in the print dialogue and save that as a preset; then going back to Photoshop, that preset was available, worked, and didn't disappear after each use.

Jan 12, 2024 4:13 AM in response to Paul-ny

I also have a SC-P700 but have a somewhat different problem. It worked fine in Ventura but since upgrading to Sonoma (also on 14.2.1) I am unable to print using the latest Epson driver 13.08. The printer is listed as 'Ready' with a green dot, but as soon as I try to print a file from any application (tried several) the printer status instantly goes to 'The printer is offline', the printer queue bar loops with the message 'Sending data to printer'. Some times the printer will start feeding the paper which gets stuck halfway (won't eject until printer is turned off) and will print two lines of text:

EPSONPrintersXIORemoteComp

EPSONPrintersXIORemoteCompatiblePrinterEnterCommand1

The printer stays offline until it is shut down and started again.

Printer queue will remember the aborted and deleted job and attempt to print it again if I open print dialog box in any application.

I have deleted drivers and re-installed many times. I have reset the printer system. Nothing works.

I can print using AirPrint, but that driver is useless for high end photographic work. I have deleted the AirPrint driver to see if that interfered with the 13.08 driver, but makes no difference.

I am in touch with Epson support, and to be fair to them, they have responded quickly. However, so far they have only suggested things I have already tried. Will update if there is any progress.

The only way I can print quality photo prints now is to connect my old MacBook Pro with Monterey and printer driver 12.65 where everything works fine.

Jan 12, 2024 3:20 PM in response to jblanchard1

Very helpful comment, jblanchard1! I hadn't thought to test printing in other applications (where I really only ever use basic plain paper printing). I created a couple of new presets using TextEdit and an .rtfd file, and all settings that I had access to remained constant when reprinting, and also they worked when printing (a PDF version of same file) in Safari. Then I went back into Photoshop, and those presets created with TextEdit did not perform the disappearing act I'm complaining about! With one exception: paper size. Switching presets did not switch paper size, or rather sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't, randomly. This is interesting because paper size was the only (I think) variable that my previous presets, created while in Photoshop, actually preserved. I tried testing whether presets present this problem when I'm printing in other Adobe applications but they are so different from each other that I haven't been able to come to any conclusion. But if settings are stable in TextEdit and Safari, and not in Photoshop, could it be that the bug is somehow due to Adobe? Instead of Mac OS or in addition to? Epson tech support told me the problem was with Apple OS.

Jan 13, 2024 2:24 AM in response to Paul-ny

Paul-ny ; It's interesting that you were advised to install an older driver to solve a problem. I haven't tried the old printer driver on this Mac, only 13.08 which doesn't work in Sonoma. I've been on Epson support page just now and regardless of which OS I select from the drop-down, the only available driver is 13.08.

I could possibly try and copy the old driver from my MacBook Pro if only I knew where to find it.

Perhaps my best option is to respond to Epson support and ask for it. Thanks to all for your input in this topic.

Jan 13, 2024 3:28 AM in response to Kobolt

UPDATE:

The v12 driver is not available on the Epson UK support site, but I did find it on the US site. I uninstalled 13, installed v12 and I am now able to print again with all the local settings in Photoshop like custom printer profiles.

Hooray! A big thank you, Paul-ny for the tip. I will now get back to Epson Support with this update as the ones I was in touch with never mentioned reverting to v12 driver.

Jan 16, 2024 9:59 AM in response to Paul-ny

jblanchard1-- although I get myself very confused when I start testing things out, I believe you're exactly right about my problem being the connection between the adobe app and the Epson driver, and maybe it also has something to do with the new Mac OS but there are updates in everything so I have no way of knowing. But thanks to your suggestion, I found out that presets I create in Preview or TextEdit not only get saved for those apps but the same presets work in Photoshop. My presets that were not being saved were not presets made in the Adobe dialogue (Photoshop doesn't offer that option, though other Adobe apps do) but presets made after connecting to the Epson driver through that Adobe dialogue (there's a button called Printer Settings that takes you there). It is still a bug but now I think I should complain to Adobe and not Apple-- does that seem right? (What I have not yet done is to try printing using these presets, but not seeing the settings revert to other settings makes me feel pretty confident it will work.)

Jan 16, 2024 3:37 PM in response to Paul-ny

Paul-ny, I think starting with Adobe is a good idea, though I am not sure if they will just blame Apple.

Based on what you describe, and, again, I don't use Adobe apps, it sounds like the "Printer Settings" dialog is

the standard system print dialog. And it seems that Adobe should be somehow writing the changes made in that dialog to the settings they are using in their dialog. Is their an (easy?) mechanism for them to do this?

But I think that's what the problem is, that the presets are set correctly in the "Apple" print settings but then not

applied to "Adobe's" print settings. Do the settings change as expected in the "Printer Settings" dialog when a preset is applied?

But, yes, starting with Adobe is a good idea. It'll turn into Adobe and Apple pointing fingers at each other, but it works from Apple apps.

sonoma bug prevents printer driver from working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.