How to disable the Contact Poster feature in Contacts and Phone app

With ios 17, Apple added a really stupid feature called Contact Poster to the Contacts app in addition to the standard Photo circle. When I go to update a picture on a contact it now forces me to add a Contact Poster as well. However, that Contact Poster picture may be replaced by the contact owner when they call me. That picture may or may not be something that I want others (business partners, clients, etc.) to see.

I would like to disable the Contact Poster feature entirely so no one else has control over what will be displayed on my phone. The only way I've found to add or change the Photo on a Contact without having to deal with the Contact Poster is to do my editing of Contacts through the iCloud using my desktop PC.

Has anyone figured out a way to disable this stupid Contact Poster 'feature'? To me, it's more of a Bug, than a feature. I was going to upgrade my 3 iPhone 12 Pro Max but at this point I may be switching to a non-Apple product.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Feb 4, 2024 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2024 2:13 PM

Who on Earth thought this was a good Idea.

I Detest the new poster feature.

It is simply awful!

Give me a way to DISABLE IT!

31 replies

Feb 4, 2024 9:00 AM in response to muguy

When I edit the Photo for the contact I can select a photo from my photos, but the Contact Poster is still there. It still can be changed by the contact owner to something that I might not want others (clients, business partners, etc.) seeing.

I need a way to DISABLE the Contact Poster feature entirely - just turn it OFF!

Feb 19, 2024 9:03 AM in response to EchosoftDS

I'm guessing no one has a clue how to disable the (stupid) Contact Poster feature. I've tried on disable for an individual contact, one at a time, but there is no way to disable the Poster. I can update the Contact Photo but then the stupid Contact Poster overrides it when viewing a contact. I can set the Contact Photo using my PC to access my iCloud account and only the Photo is there (thank goodness, no Contact Poster) but it doesn't disable it on my iPhone. And when that contact calls, whatever image they setup for their contact poster displays on my phone whether it is something that I would want someone else to see or not. It makes me want to find a different Contact app that doesn't allow others to display photos on your phone when they call. Either that or dump my iPhone for an Android.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mar 6, 2024 5:04 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Don't take it personally, I am glad you enjoy the new feature, but for me the old way worked just fine and I am disappointed that I have to live with a feature that makes me keep something that I neither asked for nor appreciate like you do. Simple is always best in my humble opinion. I hope Apple will give us an option to disable this feature. I like my iPhone just a little bit less now that I am force to live with it this way.

Mar 31, 2024 2:59 AM in response to EchosoftDS

Please provide a workable feature that would disable the contact poster feature using the iPhone itself. Currently a contact photo can be created but not used as the poster image still prevails. I shouldn’t have to use iCloud on a pc to make the adjustment[s] then back to iPhone to apply the changes. That’s too much work. The old way to create a contact photo was quick, seamless to use and is preferred. This iPhone is costly, yet it does not perform like a top of the line purchase should. Customers should be able to choose the features that are useful and appealing to their needs. The poster feature is wrongfully intended.

Apr 12, 2024 4:10 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

1) I've told Apple (through their feedback link and online support) about this issue multiple times.

2) I'm looking for any user in this forum who might have a useful reply in what they may have found as a way to disable this feature, or perhaps a better Contact app. If someone has some useful information on a decent workaround, I'd like to hear it. Repeatedly telling people that Apple doesn't read these comments is not useful and is condescending. This is a forum where Apple customers help each other, not bully others.

Feb 4, 2024 8:53 AM in response to muguy

I don’t have the option for Custom Photo. I can select from My Photos but it still has that stupid Contact Poster. The only way I’ve found a way to get around editing a contact without dealing with the Poster is via iCloud on my desktop. But when I go to contacts via the app or phone app, there does not appear to be a way to disable Contact Poster entirely.

Feb 19, 2024 8:58 AM in response to EchosoftDS

EchosoftDS wrote:

APPLE needs to seriously look at providing users the ability to disable the Contact Poster feature. It makes me want to find a different Contact app that doesn't allow others to display photos on your phone when they call.

Apple doesn't read here for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Either that or dump my iPhone for an Android.

You should always buy the tool that best meets your needs. No one here in this user-to-user has a vested interest in what you choose.

Apr 9, 2024 9:27 AM in response to bernarde36

bernarde36 wrote:

Please provide a workable feature that would disable the contact poster feature using the iPhone itself. Currently a contact photo can be created but not used as the poster image still prevails. I shouldn’t have to use iCloud on a pc to make the adjustment[s] then back to iPhone to apply the changes. That’s too much work. The old way to create a contact photo was quick, seamless to use and is preferred. This iPhone is costly, yet it does not perform like a top of the line purchase should. Customers should be able to choose the features that are useful and appealing to their needs. The poster feature is wrongfully intended.

No one participating here in this forum can make the changes you want. Apple doesn't read here for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Apr 14, 2024 9:31 PM in response to johnmarksmith

johnmarksmith wrote:

Have not been able to figure out how, but I agree with other users that this is a horrendous "feature". It is so invasive allowing someone else to control what images appear on your phone. Apple needs to remove this feature immediately.

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

How to disable the Contact Poster feature in Contacts and Phone app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.