How to stop Safari from skipping paragraphs on iOS 17.3

Siri using the Listen to page Safari extension just started to randomly stop reading in the middle of the text and skip entire paragraphs with iOS 17.3. I’ve started to have this problem with Spoken content a wile ago as well.

I have an opened case with Apple about this, but no one is willing to help me, they aren’t following it up, they don’t answer to my e-mails, they don’t call me back, and they haven’t payed enough attention to the issue.

Now if I delete the neural engine voices and let it read the page it works fine but that original voice sucks.

Is someone eles experiencing the same issue with the Siri Neural engine voices?

Is there a permanent fix?

I’m kind of fed up now

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Feb 21, 2024 3:33 AM

Similar questions

29 replies

Mar 3, 2024 10:22 PM in response to Manullascard488

Wondering if your country is listed in those countries where the Siri: Neural Text-to-Speech Voice feature works:

Eg:

Siri: Neural Text-to-Speech Voice

• Australia
  • Brazil (Portuguese)
  • Canada (English)
  • China mainland (Mandarin Chinese)
  • Denmark (Danish)
  • Finland (Finnish)
  • France
  • Germany
  • India (English)
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Korea
  • Mexico
  • Norway (Norwegian)
  • Russia
  • Spain
  • South Africa (English)
  • Sweden (Swedish)
  • Switzerland (French, German)
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom
  • United States (English, Spanish)

Above is from: iOS and iPadOS - Feature Availability - Apple

Feb 25, 2024 6:49 PM in response to Manullascard488

Re: "Siri using the Listen to page Safari extension: I have an opened case with Apple about this, ... "

To check on a support case with Apple, you may need to enter the case number online:

You may have an email with the case number.

or

See: How to find your Case or Repair ID - Apple Support

or

sign into My Support with the same Apple ID that you used to start your support, service, or repair, then look under the "Recent Activity" section.

ie:

Get up to date information on your repairs, reservations, and tech support cases. And much more.

My Support — Official Apple Support

Re: "started to stop and skip paragraphs after updating to iOS 17.3

..... problem with Spoken content a wile ago as well."

Wondering if you might want to install iOS 17.3.1 to see if that helps?

About iOS 17 Updates - Apple Support says 17.3.1. is the latest update

and "This update provides bug fixes for your iPhone ..."

To check for updates: Go to Settings > General > Software updates.

Re: Is someone else experiencing the same issue with the Siri Neural engine voices?

As we are all Apple users, like yourself, in the community, no-one here has access to the information Apple receives from those who use their deices and software. So unless someone experiencing this issue replies to you here, we have no way of knowing for sure.

The only way to reach those who work behind-the-scenes at Apple is through their feedback page. They generally do not reply ... yet updates do often address issues that multiple users report to Apple, or send feedback on. Product Feedback - Apple

All the best :-)

Feb 26, 2024 12:57 PM in response to Manullascard488

Thank you kindly for trying that recent update, and for your replies. Sorry to hear you still have the problem though, and that you feel so upset about this.

The feedback you sent will reach those who can make changes, and if there are others experiencing similar issues, we may see an update that addresses them.

That likely won't help immediately, however.

You may want to reach out to Accessibility Support to see if more help is available with the issues you have. There are a couple of ways below you can get in contact.

(1) (phone) See: How to contact Apple for accessibility support - Apple Support

or

(2) (online chat / phone / email etc.)

Apple's Accessibility Support Website (info. / support / contact options etc.)

(NB: You can "Get Support" from the link at the bottom of their website:)

See : Accessibility Support - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Feb 26, 2024 4:28 PM in response to Manullascard488

Re: Is there a chance that a complete factory reset could fix it,

or I have to wait for a fix from Apple?

Sorry, just can not guess ... so I do not know. Unless we know the cause of your issues, there is likely no sure-fire solution.

Wondering if you may want to double-check just how you are accessing the feature.

Maybe you can spot where (or even how). things don't work as expected.

Apple's software, like most technology, is set up to work in specific ways, and tested. Apple sets out the specific way in it's guidelines: Eg: For iOS 17

Eg: See: Use Siri to listen to a webpage in Safari on iPhone - Apple Support

and

If needed: Change Siri voice or language - Apple Support

Else: If you use the Accessibility settings for text to speech: In iOS 17: See how to:

Hear iPhone speak the screen, selected text, and typing feedback - Apple Support

May 20, 2024 3:16 PM in response to Manullascard488

Re: What happens if I install the update through a computer using Finder?

Seems this method of updating works well for many who have some difficulty in uploading ... eg: can help if memory / storage space is nearing full capacity.

More info: Scroll to: Update using your computer in the article below:

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support and

What to do: If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Re: Does the problem goes away completely?

Sorry, I don't know for sure. Updates often contain bug-fixes, improve security.

About iOS 17 Updates - Apple Support gives details for iOS17.5

Re: I spoke with support due to this issue and in my last interaction they told me to update my iPhone that way

Good to know you are receiving advice from the experts at Apple.

Feb 26, 2024 3:04 AM in response to brbo

Ok I updated my iPhone 13 to iOs 17.3.1 but it makes no difference, it still happens, I’m afraid that a factory reset as new device won’t do anything to fix that matter, since I can reproduce the issue in my iPhone 11 as well, and the iPhone 13 is brand new, it shouldn’t even have bugs.

I repported the bug to the feedback page as you suggested, but They're taking ages to fix it, as they rarely cure issues related to neural Tex to speech.

Hopefully Apple support agents will read my case and help me again, it’s been a week and I didn’t hear back from them anymore.

I’m so disappointed, 😞, iOs 17 is a disaster

Feb 26, 2024 5:32 PM in response to Manullascard488

The problem isn’t exactly with the Listen to page feature nor with Spoken content, it’s with the Siri voices themselves. If I use Spoken content and select Paulina or another voice in Spanish Mexico to read the text it works fine, however, the Siri neural engine voice is the culprit here.

A very few people seems to rely on this accesibility features so a video demonstration might be the best choice to clearely explain my issue

Feb 27, 2024 8:11 AM in response to Manullascard488

Unbelievable that nobody from support knows how to deal with this bug, not even the superior phone team. I’ve talked with 3 experts and none of them were willing to help me, if they would have help me, they would have got me in touch with an engineer who can identify my issue and give me the definitive cure to this matter, all what they do is stop responding to my e-mails and say that tried to call me but they couldn’t reach me.

Any thoughts?

Feb 27, 2024 1:06 PM in response to Manullascard488

Seems to me that support staff just deal with customers needs, and those who work behind-the-scenes just work on the software, and bugs etc. You may need to be patient while they determine the cause ... eg: whether it is an issue with the various different iPhone models, or software versions, or whether it only affects you.

You may want to see if you can keep check on the progress of your case online:

Eg: sign into My Support with the same Apple ID that you used to start your support case, then look under the "Recent Activity" section.

Feb 29, 2024 5:03 AM in response to brbo

In the end, I contacted the Accessibility support via e-mail but, as usually, they didn’t reply to me.

I don’t know if they’re taking ages to reply, if they are too busy, or if they won’t ever reply to me due to unwillingness.

Nobody from Apple, not even the iOs accessibility team, seems to be willing to cure this for me, in the end, my problem will persist for ever.

This only happens with the Siri Text to Speech neural engine voices, the other voices do not have this issue.

If iOs 17.4 doesn’t cures this, I won’t be any happy, any effort I made to contact Apple and provide feedback, resulted in unwillingness, dark and silence from the brand, which it’s a total disappointment for me because Apple was always the best brand in terms of accessibility, software and customer care, but not anymore

Feb 29, 2024 1:39 PM in response to Manullascard488

Re: "This only happens with the Siri Text to Speech neural engine voices"

" ... the Siri neural engine voice is the culprit here".

The issue of getting this particular Siri voice to work perfectly for you, right now, on your device, seems hugely important to you, even though other voices apparently work fine. Sorry you are feeling so disappointed.

As you say, I wonder if anyone else has that same issue you do. There seem to be many people who are content with the accessibility features Apple provide, and new or updated features do seem to appear from time to time. We mostly hear from those who are seeking help, or are disgruntled, or even angry, while those who are appreciative and using many features happily are quietly getting on with that.

All software issues, and the bugs that keep appearing, are generally temporary, not permanent. Old or unworkable features get overtaken by new improved features eventually. Patience is often necessary, both for the engineers, and the end-users. Seems the old saying "nothing is perfect under the sun" will always ring true.

Mar 1, 2024 7:20 AM in response to Manullascard488

Let’s make it simple: Does anybody have issues with the Siri AI voices using spoken content? What issue do you have? Does it stop reading in the middle of the text, skips paragraph or gets muffled like a poor quality audio recording?

Which troubleshooting steps did you’ve tried to cure this bug? Or, what did Apple Support tell you?

How to stop Safari from skipping paragraphs on iOS 17.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.