Siri is counter-intuitive after 17.4 update

I have a home with a HomePod mini and multiple bridged commands defined as switches that have a default state to off and briefly turn on while the script is executed. After the update to 17.4 every time I call one of these switches by name Siri asks me if I want to turn it on or off, which is wasn’t the case before. In my opinion this is counter-intuitive and a waste of words and time, because if the switch is off you can only turn it on or vice versa… Can I do something to make Siri simply toggle it when I name it without her asking for obvious answers, as it was prior to 17.4?

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2024 1:18 PM

I am having the same issue and this is completely driving me crazy. I am living in Germany and I’m so happy that I just can call Siri without the Hey since 17.4, but now I always have to add that I want to switch it on, which is obvious for switches and lights, that are already turned off.

In my opinion this is a regression, as it adds an unnecessary step for something that is an obvious command. Please fix this and make it has worked before… It’s like always the same with Siri and HomeKit: One step forward and two steps back… I was really looking forward for HomePod Software 17.4 and the shorter activation word.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2024 1:18 PM in response to gabriel_s_dragan

I am having the same issue and this is completely driving me crazy. I am living in Germany and I’m so happy that I just can call Siri without the Hey since 17.4, but now I always have to add that I want to switch it on, which is obvious for switches and lights, that are already turned off.

In my opinion this is a regression, as it adds an unnecessary step for something that is an obvious command. Please fix this and make it has worked before… It’s like always the same with Siri and HomeKit: One step forward and two steps back… I was really looking forward for HomePod Software 17.4 and the shorter activation word.

Apr 7, 2024 10:19 AM in response to gabriel_s_dragan

Hey Siri 🤙🤙

I wanted to share something that’s been really bothering me lately. I’ve been living in the UAE, and I was thrilled when I realized I could finally call Siri without having to say “Hey Siri” after updating to version 17.4. It made things so much easier for me. But now, it seems like I’m back to square one. Every time I need to summon Siri, I have to add “👋👋 HEY 👋👋 SIRI” to get its attention. It’s been driving me absolutely crazy!

I’m torn between wanting to keep using emojis to express my frustration or hoping for a solution to fix this issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, any advice on how to resolve it would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Siri is counter-intuitive after 17.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.