Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Apple Watch update 10.4 stuck at Preparing

I have an ultra 2 and for the latest 10.4 update it is stuck at "preparing". I have tried the following solutions -

1. Delete update data and download and install again.
  2. Restarting Apple watch and iPhone.
  3. Updating from watch and iPhone both.
  4. I have sufficient storage for the watch as it is 64 Gb.
  5. Watch is charged over 50% and connected to the charger as well.
  6. iPhone is updated to ios 10.4 and has all its apps updated as well.
  7. Unpair and Re-pairing my watch and phone.

Non of the solutions worked for me. Any possible solution for this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Ultra 2, watchOS 10

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2024 5:51 AM

Have the same issue. Losing 100% charge in few hours and update stuck at preparing

97 replies

Mar 19, 2024 10:26 AM in response to Shriki22

To delete a WatchOS update that has downloaded but not installed, follow the steps below:

1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.

2. Scroll down and tap on "General".

3. Tap on "Storage" at the bottom of the General screen.

4. If the update has downloaded but not installed, it should appear on the Storage screen.

5. Tap on the update and then tap on "Delete Update".

6. After deleting the update, you can try reinstalling it again.Go to the apple watch app on your phone. Scroll until you see General, click that. Find “storage” at the bottom and click that. If the watch has downloaded but not installed the update, it should show in storage. Mine showed it as “WatchOS 10.4”. You should be able to click on that and it will pop up an option to delete the file. Then you can try reinstalling the update again.

Apr 12, 2024 9:11 AM in response to devansh09

I’m currently having this problem and it’s now April 12th, so I’m assuming it hasn’t been figured out. I have Apple Watch Series 8 and it’s been preparing for almost two hours now. I only tried to update it because I fully charged my watch before bed and woke up to it completely dead, and update was the only Apple solution I could find.

Mar 26, 2024 8:11 AM in response to devansh09

I was finally able to update my watch ONLY after I deleted several videos to free of storage for the update. I have plenty of memory on my watch and phone but Apple must require enough space on your iCloud storage... which Apple was asking me to upgrade my cloud storage. But instead I just deleted videos (quickest way to free space). Not fair that Apple does this, in my humble opinion.

But anyone with issues, try upgrading cloud storage or deleting videos from cloud and then see. I bet it works then. Sneaky Apple... just sneaky.

Apple Watch update 10.4 stuck at Preparing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.