Macbook's microphone input level low after Sonoma 14.4 update

Hello!

I'm hoping to find some help regarding the microphone issue with my 2023 14-inch MacBook Pro. For the past two weeks, I've been encountering difficulties joining online meetings due to a microphone problem that started after the Sonoma 14.4 update.

The issue is that for some reason, my MacBook keeps the microphone input level low, even though my input volume is set to maximum. The microphone isn't fully muted, but it's very difficult to hear me, as my colleagues have described. I also ran a test with Voice Memos, which showed that the input was at a minimum:

A few weeks ago, a normal speech waveform looked like this, and the sound was perfect:

I use Slack and Google Meets on Safari every day. I've found a temporary solution to fix this issue by restarting my MacBook daily, but the problem reappears every day, and I have no idea how to solve it permanently. I hope to receive some advice, and I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same issue.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 2, 2024 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2024 12:02 AM

Update: I have noticed that Safari is causing this issue.

Explanation: When I am in a Google Meet meeting on Safari and I end the call, wanting to switch to Slack, a separate application, the problem occurs. When I fully close both Safari and Slack, and then reopen Slack, the issue disappears. So, it seems that there's a conflict between Safari and other applications that use the microphone.

Is there any explanation from Apple?

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2024 12:02 AM in response to lauri112

Update: I have noticed that Safari is causing this issue.

Explanation: When I am in a Google Meet meeting on Safari and I end the call, wanting to switch to Slack, a separate application, the problem occurs. When I fully close both Safari and Slack, and then reopen Slack, the issue disappears. So, it seems that there's a conflict between Safari and other applications that use the microphone.

Is there any explanation from Apple?

Macbook's microphone input level low after Sonoma 14.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.