How to Download Audio from YouTube Video on a Mac?

Hi everyone,

Is there any way to only download audio from a YouTube video on my Mac? I found some interesting background music from the video and look for a way to extract the audio only from the video.

I've tried a couple of methods, but they either don't work well or seem unsafe. Does anyone have recommendations for safe and effective tools or methods for doing this? Ideally, I'm looking for something that maintains good audio quality.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 8, 2024 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 8:12 PM

vvckinzs wrote:

I tried two online video downloaders but they can only download videos. There is no way to extract audio from YouTube video. As for output audio format, MP3 is fine for me.

Thanks

For this purpose, it is more recommended using a desktop video downloader instead, especially for bulk conversion. As far as I know, desktop downloader often comes with file conversion feature. This will help you convert downloaded videos to dozens of videos and audio format. I suggest reading and trying the video downloaders reviewed in this blog post:

https://www.sysgeeker.com/blog/the-best-5-youtube-downloaders-for-mac

P.S. If you are familiar with commands on Mac, then you can use the free youtube-dl tool (No GUI) on Github.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2024 8:12 PM in response to vvckinzs

vvckinzs wrote:

I tried two online video downloaders but they can only download videos. There is no way to extract audio from YouTube video. As for output audio format, MP3 is fine for me.

Thanks

For this purpose, it is more recommended using a desktop video downloader instead, especially for bulk conversion. As far as I know, desktop downloader often comes with file conversion feature. This will help you convert downloaded videos to dozens of videos and audio format. I suggest reading and trying the video downloaders reviewed in this blog post:

https://www.sysgeeker.com/blog/the-best-5-youtube-downloaders-for-mac

P.S. If you are familiar with commands on Mac, then you can use the free youtube-dl tool (No GUI) on Github.

Apr 8, 2024 2:53 AM in response to vvckinzs

Totally get where you're coming from. Been down that rabbit hole myself trying to snag some chill beats for working. Found a couple of solid ways to do it without inviting a digital apocalypse onto my Mac.

First, YouTube-dl is like the Swiss Army knife for this job. It's a command-line tool, but don't let that scare you. It's more straightforward than it sounds. Once you've got it installed (a quick Google search will get you there), you just pop open Terminal, and type something like youtube-dl -x --audio-format mp3 [Video URL]. It grabs the audio in a pretty decent quality. Plus, it's open-source and regularly updated, so it's safer than a lot of the sketchy software out there.

Another cool option is VLC Media Player. Yeah, the one that plays videos. Turns out, it can also convert them. Just open VLC, go to Media > Convert / Save, drop your video link, and in the settings, choose to convert it to an audio format. Takes a bit of clicking around, but it's another safe bet.

I leaned towards YouTube-dl for its simplicity once you get the hang of it, and because I could script it to handle multiple downloads. VLC is great for a one-off or if I'm already using it for something else. Both are pretty solid on the quality front, as long as the source video's audio isn't terrible to start with.

Hope this helps you get those background tunes rolling!

Apr 8, 2024 3:06 AM in response to vvckinzs

Hey there! I noticed you're looking to download just the audio from a YouTube video on your Mac and have had some trouble finding a good method. Could you share a bit more about the methods you've already tried? Knowing what hasn't worked for you could help narrow down some alternative solutions that might be a better fit. Also, are you open to using third-party apps, or would you prefer sticking to web-based solutions?

Lastly, is there a specific audio format you're aiming for, like MP3, or are you flexible on that front?

Apr 8, 2024 3:26 AM in response to vvckinzs

Downloading audio from a YouTube video on a Mac can be achieved through various methods, but here's a simple and legal approach using online website (no batch download and high quality audio output):

Step 1: Open your web browser on your Mac and navigate to a reliable online YouTube to MP3 converter.

Step 2: Go to YouTube and find the video from which you want to extract the audio. Copy the video's URL from the address bar.

Step 3: Return to the online converter website and paste the copied URL into the designated input field.

Step 4: Select the desired audio quality or format for the extracted audio file. Most converters offer options like MP3, AAC, or others.

Step 5: Once you've chosen the settings, click on the "Convert" or similar button to start the conversion process.

Step 6: After the conversion is complete, the website will provide a download link for the extracted audio file. Click on the link to download the audio to your Mac.

Step 7: Once the download is finished, you can locate the audio file in your Mac's downloads folder or the location specified during the download process.

Apr 8, 2024 10:31 PM in response to vvckinzs

Oh, man, I've been down that road before! So, Been there. Here's how to download Audio from YouTube Video on a Mac:

1. Grab a trusty browser extension: I went for one called "ClipGrab". It's like having a little helper right in your browser, ready to snatch audio or video from YouTube whenever you need it. Plus, it's free and easy to use.

2. Install ClipGrab: Head over to their website and download the Mac version. Once it's done, just follow the installation prompts like you're making a cup of instant noodles—simple and straightforward.

3. Fire up YouTube and find your jam: Go ahead and pick the video you want to convert to audio. Copy the URL like you're copying cheat codes for a game.

4. Open ClipGrab and paste the URL: Launch ClipGrab and paste that YouTube URL into the designated box. ClipGrab will sniff it out like a bloodhound on a mission.

5. Choose your audio format and quality: ClipGrab gives you options, baby! You can pick your audio format (MP3, OGG, etc.) and quality. Want that crisp sound? Go for the highest quality available.

6. Hit that download button: Once you've made your selections, it's time to hit the download button and let ClipGrab do its thing. It'll work its magic and snag that audio faster than you can say "boombox".

7. Check your downloads folder: Once it's done, head over to your downloads folder and there it is—your freshly liberated audio file, ready to be played, shared, and enjoyed to your heart's content.

And that's how you download the audio from YouTube video on a Mac, my friend! ClipGrab has been my trusty sidekick for this task, making the whole process a breeze. Give it a whirl and let the music flow!

Apr 8, 2024 3:44 AM in response to vvckinzs

Look I’ve spent very long nights time and time again asking the same questions…. So, I hope this helps out! Plus, you won’t fall short on the “quality” for sound along the way!

You can download audio from YouTube videos on a Mac using a few methods I personally used! I’ll guide you step-by-step with these methods and they are more commonly used and safe:

1: Choose a YouTube to MP3 Converter: There are several websites and software available for this purpose. One popular option is "YTMP3" (ytmp3.cc).

2: Copy the YouTube Video URL: Go to the YouTube video you want to extract audio from, and copy the URL from the address bar.

3: Paste the URL into the Converter: Open the YTMP3 website and paste the YouTube video URL into the provided field.

4: Convert the Video: Click on the "Convert" or "Convert to MP3" button. The website will start processing the video and converting it into an audio file.

5: Download the Audio File: Once the conversion is complete, you'll see a download link for the audio file. Click on it to download the MP3 to your Mac.

6: Verify the Download: After the download is complete, check the downloaded file to ensure it's the correct audio track.

7: Organize Your Files: Move the downloaded audio file to the desired location on your Mac for easy access.

8: Optional - Rename the File: If necessary, rename the audio file to something more descriptive.

That's it! You've successfully downloaded the audio from a YouTube video on your Mac. I hope this helps you! Good luck!

Apr 8, 2024 7:18 PM in response to Timika199

Timika199 wrote:

Hey there! I noticed you're looking to download just the audio from a YouTube video on your Mac and have had some trouble finding a good method. Could you share a bit more about the methods you've already tried? Knowing what hasn't worked for you could help narrow down some alternative solutions that might be a better fit. Also, are you open to using third-party apps, or would you prefer sticking to web-based solutions?

Lastly, is there a specific audio format you're aiming for, like MP3, or are you flexible on that front?

Thanks

How to Download Audio from YouTube Video on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.