Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

organize motion template for FCX

Hi,

I wanted to organize my personal Motion templates titles and generators I did in Motion. But moving the folders won't change how it appears in FCPX. I want to have the titles appear in the correct category I did. How do I make FCP check again where is what ? Or how do I change correctly Titles's location in the folder ?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 9:40 AM

21 replies

Apr 30, 2024 8:51 PM in response to Samuel Bester

When you create a template in Motion, you have the option to provide a Category AND a **Theme** for your templates:

Your templates have the Category of Sam's.

All of the templates at the top of the Category shown in your screen capture have no Theme applied.

The templates in CUMULUS, Musicatreize, ONA, etc... are all Themed templates and grouped accordingly in the Title browser.

You can create (sub)folders inside your Sam's Category and move whatever templates you want into them (FCP will use the folder names as the Theme classification). Just be aware that if you have used them in any projects previously, you will get Not Found red-screen alerts for the templates you moved. You will have to replace them with the Themed copies and if you used any customized parameter settings, you will lose those settings (except for the text that you used) and have to redo all of them again.

Consider whether you want to make these changes carefully.

May 4, 2024 8:50 AM in response to LocaAlicia

Thank you for your help and sorry for the late reply and not answering your previous detailed post.

Here are some more detailes path of where my titles are on the hard drive, where Motion placed them (as example I pointed where "3 bandes rotatives" is in FCP and on the HD). There is a language problem maybe who is complicating things a bit, I do have a french system but I use FCP in english ("vidéos" is for "movies"). And I use final cut pro since the beginning so maybe I have old libraries that could be problematic? I maybe just have to open them all again in Motion and save them as so it could clear things up. And like foxm said, maybe there's also a conflict with additional Fx factory and motion vfx path. I don't know.

Apr 30, 2024 2:27 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Nope, that's how they show up in FCPX with that Finder folder configuration. I do my own the same way, and that's how it looks. Under the "Main" folder they have named "Sam's" you'll only see "Sam's" in the FCPX browser. Then all the sub-categories are just headings in the browser, as you see. That's exactly how it works. I don't see anything unusual here.

May 1, 2024 9:54 AM in response to Samuel Bester

You can save a Motion *Project* anywhere on your system but you cannot save a Motion Template anywhere but in:

[main drive]/Users/[Your User Home Folder]/Movies/Motion Templates/...

Motion gives you no other options.

Your template path makes no sense. You have from the top level of your hard drive: /Videos/Motion Templates/...

How did you create Title templates and save them in this location??? Are you using a SymLink from inside your Home folder?

May 1, 2024 8:11 PM in response to Samuel Bester

there a many other not in the good category.

This may sound harsh, but I would like to point out the problem. The reason why the title is not displayed correctly is because Samuel Bester does not understand various things correctly. As all respondents said, there are strict rules that users must understand and follow correctly. Even libraries that you think you can store anywhere you want have rules to follow.

--

LocaAlicia wrote:

Please show me a screenshot showing the path below the movie folder

→You showed an incomplete path that was not shown to the end.

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

do post that screenshot in Column View to make sure that the hierarchy is all correct

→You showed me the hierarchy of unrelated folders called Videos/Motion Templates/Titre/Sam’s.

Tom Wolsky wrote:

Select the Titles folder in the Finder and use Cmd-I. Check in information is the extension .localized has been added.

→You showed information with a title that I don't know which drive or folder it is in.

BenB wrote:

that's how they show up in FCPX with that Finder folder configuration

fox_m wrote:

[main drive]/Users/[Your User Home Folder]/Movies/Motion Templates/…

Motion gives you no other options.

→hard drive: /Videos/Motion Templates/...

Samuel Bester wrote:

The Titles are not showing where they should be.

→You yourself did not put the title file in the correct place.

--

Many of your replies to respondents are off-topic. I'm Japanese and English is not my native language, so I always use the translation function. I'm trying to understand the thread. All the answers to display correctly are written in this thread. If you read it over and over again, I'm sure you'll be able to solve it.

May 2, 2024 1:37 PM in response to terryb

Maybe you're right - lost in translation (Videos for "Movies" folder... :P). I mistook the Applications folder for being the top level Applications... gettin' old.

His setup is still messed up. I don't know where the Simple-Title-Pack02 comes from - it is *not* shown inside the category column in the Sam's folder. This suggests a "parallel" installation in the /Library/Application Support/ pathway OR -- he installed that inside of Final Cut Pro itself. I would figure the /Library/Application Support path because companies like PFS (FxFactory, CoreMelt, etc. although I'm not 100% sure about PFS) use that path with their software installers instead of inside the User Home folder.

Probably doesn't matter... it seems we've lost the OP on this one.

organize motion template for FCX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.