Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

macOS Processing iPhone Cinematic Footage

Hi all!

I am shooting A LOT of videos using iPhones. Using ONLY iPhones: 14Pro and 15Pro Max. I only shoot cinematic, a person speaking and playing instruments in front of the camera(s). Sometimes 50, even 70 minutes videos.

Then, I would so very much like to get to work and edit them in FCPX. But, of course, the iPhones have to process the cinematic files. Well, THIS processing takes A LONG time (sometimes 6 or even 8 hours) and also takes a toll on the iPhones, as they get VERY hot.

I called Apple Support several times in the past 2 years, asking if I could use the powerful Mac processors (M1, M2) do to this job. The answer was No, and 6 month later No, and then No again.

I guess I am writing this post just to see what you all are thinking about it and maybe gather a crowd, a voice loud enough for Apple to hear.

Why should we waste so much time and "kill" the iPhones with this process, when the Mac could do it so much faster and easier? Of course it can be done; it's just a software "thing", right?

Or maybe someone out there already has a better way to deal with this than to just have the iPhones do it, although I doubt it. But if there's one, I would really appreciate you sharing it!

Thank you!

Mac Pro, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 4:17 PM

12 replies

May 1, 2024 3:35 AM in response to VladRO

I'm just curious as to your exact workflow? I've only ever shot short clips in cinematic mode (just experimenting really) and once I've shot the clip I use the rather convoluted method that Apple advises (select the clip on the phone, select options, then "All Photos Data", Airdrop it to the computer, open the folder on the computer and finally copy the correct .mov file to FCP!! Phew!!). Once the clip is on the timeline you can select Clip>Show Cinematic Editor and set the DOF from there.

Obviously with short clips it takes no processing time at all and it's done in FCP. I'm using the latest MacOS and FCP versions.

May 1, 2024 8:46 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Okay; I just finished recording two videos: 23 minutes and 85 minutes. I tried the Airdrop transfer, but it goes through the same process: the transfer does not start immediately, but rather the iPhone has to "prepare" or "process" the files first, meaning, it takes the same time in order to create the second file for each video, the depth of field one. But using your method, it will just increase the time. First because of the airdrop transfer and secondly because you cannot select only the second file to be transferred.

What I do, I'm going to the Cinematic folder within the Photos app, tap "Process Now", the iPhone takes its own sweet time to process the files, and then I can transfer via cable using Image Capture, which goes very fast.

So, I'm back to square one, to my initial question: why not having the Mac to process these cinematic files instead of the iPhone which has a slower processor and gets very hot?

May 1, 2024 10:32 AM in response to VladRO

I've just tested a longer clip (15 mins) and you're absolutely correct. In fact my iPhone 15 Pro only got a few minutes into the "Preparing" phase before it needed to cool down! I just cancelled it after that as it was obviously going to take a very long time as you say. This is a ridiculously complex work flow and very un-Apple like. And in the end it seems to generate 2 .mov files, so double the storage space?! Obviously only meant for short clips.

And, as Tom says, the options don't stick.

(Maybe just leave it in the fridge whilst it's processing...😬!)

May 1, 2024 10:42 AM in response to FilRmonic

They're presenting the iPhone Pro as an option for shooting films. And I do agree: as one who's using only iPhones for shooting every single day, they are great! I do not want anything else for a camera for multiple reasons which are not relevant for this topic.

BUT this is my only problem and I strongly believe that it wouldn't take a lot to enable FCPX do the processing on the Mac. THAT would be a great game changer for those of us shooting cinematic.

So, maybe they will listen?

macOS Processing iPhone Cinematic Footage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.