Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

"Your account is locked. Try again in 1 minute"

I am currently using a MacBook Pro M3 running on macOS Sonoma. Whenever I sign in or restart my Macbook, I receive a message that says, "Your account is locked. Try again in 1 minute." This occurs even though I have not made any mistakes in my password. I have to wait for a minute before I can log in, which is quite frustrating. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to fix this issue. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 7:36 PM

2 replies

May 1, 2024 6:28 AM in response to Maximus1688

There are a few reasons why you might be seeing the "Your account is locked" message on your MacBook Pro M3, even with the correct password. Here are some steps you can try to fix the issue:

1. Simple Restart: Sometimes a simple restart can clear temporary glitches. Shut down your MacBook completely and then restart it. Try logging in again and see if the message persists.

2. Reset Password using Apple ID:

• Try entering the wrong password three times. After the third attempt, you should see an option to "reset it using your Apple ID" (assuming you set this up previously).
  • Click on that option and follow the prompts to reset your password using your Apple ID credentials.

3. Check Date and Time Settings:

An incorrect date and time setting can sometimes cause login issues. Make sure your MacBook's date and time are set accurately. You can access these settings from System Preferences > Date & Time.

4. Boot into Recovery Mode (If Apple ID Reset Fails):

If resetting with your Apple ID fails, you can try resetting your password using Recovery Mode. This will erase your login password but won't affect your data (unless you don't have a backup).

• Shut down your MacBook completely.
  • Power on your Mac while holding down Command (⌘), Option (⌥), and R keys simultaneously. This will boot your Mac into Recovery Mode.
  • Once in Recovery Mode, select "Utilities" from the menu bar and then choose "Terminal."
  • In the Terminal window, type "resetpassword" and press Enter.
  • Follow the on-screen prompts to reset your password.

Important Note: Before using Recovery Mode, it's crucial to back up your important data if you don't have a recent backup.

Additional Resources:

• Apple Support article on resetting a Mac password: [Apple forgot mac login password ON support.apple.com]

If none of these solutions work, it's recommended to contact Apple Support for further assistance.

"Your account is locked. Try again in 1 minute"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.