Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Apple Watch and iPhone compatibility in 2024

I have iPhone 8 plus and a bunch of Apple Watches (SE 2nd, S4 and S5) - me and kids. All worked fine. I now tried to pair another Apple Watch 5 and I got notified that my phone is out of date.

If I understand the info on Apple Watch and iPhone compatibility - Apple Support correctly, from 2024 on all watches will only pair with i Phones, which have iOS 17?

Am I now forced to buy i Phone XS or later?

Thank you, Katarina

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on May 1, 2024 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2024 7:07 PM

You can pair an Apple Watch running watchOS 9 or earlier to an iPhone 8.

Apparently you have obtained an Apple Watch with watchOS 10, that requires iOS 17 and an iPhone XS, XR, 11 or newer.

If you can return the Apple Watch that has watchOS 10 on it, and find an Apple Watch still running watchOS 9 or earlier, that would work with your older iPhones.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2024 7:07 PM in response to KatarinaKersevan

You can pair an Apple Watch running watchOS 9 or earlier to an iPhone 8.

Apparently you have obtained an Apple Watch with watchOS 10, that requires iOS 17 and an iPhone XS, XR, 11 or newer.

If you can return the Apple Watch that has watchOS 10 on it, and find an Apple Watch still running watchOS 9 or earlier, that would work with your older iPhones.

Apple Watch and iPhone compatibility in 2024

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.