Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can I use Wallet without Apple Pay?

My AAA credit card gives generous points but not when the payment is thru Apple Pay. Can I use my iPhone or Apple Watch for direct credit card payments, or do they all have to go thru Apple Pay?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on May 1, 2024 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2024 5:21 AM

Credit and debit cards use a different account number when they are added to a digital wallet. This new number is referred to as a DPAN (Device Primary Account Number). The 16 digit account number on most credit cards is referred to as a PAN.

Some rewards programs track the credit card usage by the last 4 digits of the PAN. However, the DPAN has a different last 4 digits number. Therefore rewards cannot be rewarded. The primary rewards the bank offers are still awarded just not the secondary rewards from 3rd party businesses.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2024 5:21 AM in response to carolagate

Credit and debit cards use a different account number when they are added to a digital wallet. This new number is referred to as a DPAN (Device Primary Account Number). The 16 digit account number on most credit cards is referred to as a PAN.

Some rewards programs track the credit card usage by the last 4 digits of the PAN. However, the DPAN has a different last 4 digits number. Therefore rewards cannot be rewarded. The primary rewards the bank offers are still awarded just not the secondary rewards from 3rd party businesses.

May 1, 2024 6:15 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Jeff,

This is in their reward program terms: "Purchases made with third-party payment accounts, including, but not limited to PayPal and Venmo, will not earn additional Cash Back."

The reason I asked (when there seems to be no way to reach a person at the company who knows anything) is that I don't know whether PayPal is a "third-party payment account." It seems to me that it is. I use all my credit cards with my Apple watch, and I don't know if that means because they are on Wallet they are all being paid thru Apple Pay.

Any light you can shed on that would be appreciated.

Carol

Can I use Wallet without Apple Pay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.