Automatic charging stop at 85% with Shortcuts for iPhone and iPad?

Hey all! I have a question regarding the use of Shortcuts to control the charging of my devices. On my iPhone 15 I have managed to set a Shortcut that stops charging at 85% to extend battery life. This is done through a combination of Shortcuts and a smart plug. Now I wonder, is it possible to do something similar for an iPad?

I'm aware that iPads handle charging differently and have built-in features to optimize battery health, but I'd like to have more control over the charging process. Has anyone here on the forum tried this or know if there is a workaround to get the iPad to stop charging at a specific percentage?

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 11, 2024 5:14 AM

20 replies

May 22, 2024 8:49 AM in response to nowprovided

If you do have s mart plug, add it the to Home application: Add an accessory to the Home app - Apple Support. If "Home" is turned on both iPhone and iPad in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Show All, the smart plug will also be available on the iPad. Then you won't have any issues creating the personal automation (you'll need to create it on both iPhone and iPad as automations are not synched between devices.)

May 11, 2024 12:23 PM in response to nowprovided

I didn’t. I just created the same personal automation on the iPad. I’m using an iPad using iPadOS 17.4.1 if it makes any difference but that same automation worked in (at least) the latter versions of iPadOS 16.

Don’t you have the “Battery Level” trigger in the personal automation screen on your iPad (you showed a screenshot of an iPhone)? Here is what I see on my iPad:

May 19, 2024 4:16 PM in response to nowprovided

Your "My Home" is not set up on the iPad. That's why the automation is not working.

On the iPad, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Show All and turn on "Home." That should synchronize your smart devices already set up on your iPhone. Once done, still on the iPad, open the Homme app and check that you see your smart devices. If so, you'll have no issues using the smart plug in your personal automation.

Automatic charging stop at 85% with Shortcuts for iPhone and iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.