iPad assistive access why does iPad screen show “tap” before showing apps

I am settings up an iPad mini 6 (iOS 17.4.1) for assistive access for an elderly family member with mild dementia. Touch ID and passcode is off. I want the iPad to show the minimal grid of icons ( call,messages, photos) I set up as soon as the iPad is opened and touched/unlocked. Yet after opening the iPad the screen shows a confusing “tap” button.Which you have to tap again before it becomes “open” which you have to tap AGAIN before seeing the row/grid of icons. Can all this be bypassed so that when they open the iPad it goes straight to the

big “icons”?

iPad mini (6th generation)

Posted on May 12, 2024 3:48 PM

5 replies

May 14, 2024 11:08 PM in response to loopless

Hi, and welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "iPad assistive access why does iPad screen show “tap” before showing apps"

Am no expert in this area, yet your request surely deserves some response, if only to get your discussion underway, so others have the opportunity to join in.

Seems iPad can only act in accord with the way it has been set-up.

You may want to check through Apple support's online help and guidance.

You could browse through the set-up steps to see if there is anything that needs changing.

How to: Set up Assistive Access on iPad - Apple Support

Eg: says:

"If the iPad you want to use with Assistive Access is new, it needs to be set up before you can start Assistive Access setup. See the Apple Support article Set up your iPhone or iPad."

If iPad is already set up, make sure it’s updated to iPadOS 17 or later.

See Update iPadOS in the iPad User Guide. (NB: iPadOS 17.5 is the now newest update)

There's also a video online to help with set-up :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7XKZWgE3g&list=PLIl2EzNYri0cLtSlZowttih25VnSvWITu&index=2

___________________________________________________________________________________

Re: "I want the iPad to show the minimal grid of icons ( call,messages, photos) I set up as soon as the iPad is opened and touched/unlocked. Yet after opening the iPad the screen shows a confusing “tap” button.Which you have to tap again before it becomes “open” which you have to tap AGAIN before seeing the row/grid of icons. Can all this be bypassed so that when they open the iPad it goes straight to the big “icons”?"

See how to: Enter and exit Assistive Access on iPad - Apple Support

Eg: says:

Tip: You can configure the Accessibility Shortcut so you can quickly enter Assistive Access using the same button press you use to exit it.

See Quickly open features with Accessibility Shortcut in the iPad User Guide.

More info, if needed:

See the "Table of Contents" in the Assistive Access User Guide - Apple Support

More support with Apple's Accessibility features if needed:

Apple's Accessibility Support Website

(NB: You can "Get Support" from the link at the bottom of their website:)

Accessibility Support - Official Apple Support

If you would like to provide feedback about an accessibility feature on an Apple product,

you can email the Accessibility team: accessibility@apple.com.

All the best :-)

May 15, 2024 8:17 PM in response to loopless

Re: "I did notice you can get Bluetooth buttons, that could be linked to a shortcut, say “call my daughter”, so someone just has to hit a button".

Wondering if "assistive touch" is a possibility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j4-NTg3QsE&list=PLIl2EzNYri0cLtSlZowttih25VnSvWITu&index=20

There's quite a lot of accessibility features available ... and more on the way.

Am not familiar enough with all of them to pinpoint what would be of most use.

Eg: Apple's video-playlist of accessibility features and how to set them up

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIl2EzNYri0cLtSlZowttih25VnSvWITu

Article about what's coming:

Apple announces new accessibility features, including Eye Tracking - Apple

May 15, 2024 6:52 PM in response to brbo

I understand why apple would have it this way. For most people with mild cognitive decline tapping a screen a few times should be possible. For more serious cases of dementia I guess nothing much can help. I did notice you can get Bluetooth buttons, that could be linked to a shortcut, say “call my daughter”, so someone just has to hit a button.

iPad assistive access why does iPad screen show “tap” before showing apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.