how can I record a long video recording efficiently

I want to create a low quality video using my webcam connected directly to my Mac Pro. What is the most efficient way that is free? I have about 25 gig of hard drive space. Is Quicktime a good use for this? I have more space on an external drive. If I can use that instead of the main hard drive it would help.

How many hours of video can I record?

Webcam: HD Pro Webcam C920

My Mac Pro has:

Processor: 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W

Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Memory: 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Mac Pro, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 12, 2024 10:51 PM

1 reply

May 19, 2024 5:08 AM in response to ShinehahGnolaum

I have about 25 gig of hard drive space

That is not a lot. You may want to schedule some disk maintenance, for offloading big files or unused file collections elsewhere.

I have more space on an external drive. If I can use that instead of the main hard drive it would help.

While you can set QuickTime Player to do screen recordings to a pre-defined location, a movie recording would be a temp file on the boot drive, until you save it afterwards.

How many hours of video can I record?

That depends on the recording settings. I think your webcam does 1080p at 30fps, but maybe there are configuration settings to finetune some parameters?

Do a test clip for 5 minutes of “typical content”, i.e. with all the movements and video complexity that is expected for the final run.

Then the resulting file size gives you a good indicator for longer times, as multiples of those 5 minutes.

The 1280×720 camera in my MacBook Pro can record in “Maximum” or “High” quality, meaning using Apple ProRes 422 at ~71.18 Mbps or H.264 AVC at ~10.74 Mbps in my test clip. So, that choice differs in a factor 6.6 for file size as well (2.76 GB vs. 0.42 GB for 5 mins). Not sure if such can apply to your webcam as well.

how can I record a long video recording efficiently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.