How do I make webcam show a wider view?

Is there a way to make a webcam show more of the room without moving it? I mean the way I can widen the view when using iPhone to record a video or picture by using two fingers to zoom in and out? I would be using Quicktime or Zoom if possible. I will use whatever will allow the camera to do this.

Mac Pro, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 12, 2024 11:06 PM

1 reply

May 13, 2024 1:24 PM in response to ShinehahGnolaum

The limit for the widest view of a camera is caused by hardware, typically the lens. You can’t go wider than fully zoomed out. Also you will see different numbers for landscape vs. portrait photos or videos, as it is usually measured by width angle, so keep that in mind.

• For external camera’s connected to a computer, choose one with a wider field of view. Interchangeable lens photo cameras (with possible video capabilities) offer customizable sets and higher quality.
  • High end iPhones have three lenses for various fields of view, like hardware zoom levels. Customize the Main camera lens - Apple Support
  • There are also third party add-on clip lenses for smart phones, that bring more zoom or more wide field photography, or other special case usage, even fish-eye (120–180°).

How do I make webcam show a wider view?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.