SPOTLIGHT will not open enclosed folder

When I hit command it shows the file path but still opens the file. Double clicking, nothing works. More often than not you want access to the file not immediately open it. This should be the default and opening the file directly should be a shortcut. Being able to find files is a vital part of working on any computer.

It is already a poor tool. Why it gives you succinct results and then when you choose show in finder it gives you 1000's of unwanted results like the word found in a txt file is beyond me.

Does anyone know of a good replacement for Spotlight or a way to get it to work in way that is productive??

Disclaimer I have been using Macs for two decades.

Posted on May 13, 2024 8:25 AM

4 replies

May 13, 2024 10:33 AM in response to curtisfromnovato

curtisfromnovato wrote:

When I hit command it shows the file path but still opens the file. Double clicking, nothing works. More often than not you want access to the file not immediately open it. This should be the default and opening the file directly should be a shortcut. Being able to find files is a vital part of working on any computer.

It is already a poor tool. Why it gives you succinct results and then when you choose show in finder it gives you 1000's of unwanted results like the word found in a txt file is beyond me.

Does anyone know of a good replacement for Spotlight or a way to get it to work in way that is productive??

Disclaimer I have been using Macs for two decades.

I never had your issues with Spotlight...

You can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

ref: Search with Spotlight on Mac

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all non-essential peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

alternative—Find Any File

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

May 15, 2024 12:12 PM in response to leroydouglas

A restart did not. I shut it down for the night and it worked properly in the morning. It is funny how I probably know just as much about Macs as anyone in this forum, however the way you get that special Community recognition is hilarious, by being "positive". So silly. Not honest so much as positive.

I still far prefer the Mac OS software and hardware to Windows but they would do well to take more user input. I have invested many thousands of dollars on Apple products and the return on that investment is 20 fold. That I feel positive about. Silly UX's not so much.

SPOTLIGHT will not open enclosed folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.