Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Messages app not loading/opening on Sonoma 14.5

Hi everyone - For whatever reason my Messages app will no longer open on my Macbook Pro M3 / Sonoma 14.5. Sometimes, the icon will "bounce" for a while before it just hangs; oftentimes it doesn't even do that. I need to Force Quit it every time. I've attempted many reboots and shutdowns, but that hasn't fixed anything. I've even booted into Safe Mode, and the problem also persists there. I have a similar issue with the Facetime app, but somehow that app will sometimes load (some reboots it works, and sometimes it also hangs); I haven't been able to determine how or why.

I've attempted many different other solutions I've seen associated with the Big Sur update (e.g., opening with terminal, opening "Calendar" first, holding option when opening) but nothing seems to resolve the issue.

MacBook Pro (M3, 2023)

Posted on May 13, 2024 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2024 5:59 AM

I have the same problem on the MacBook Pro M1 2020

Messages & Facetime apps will just bounce and not load, I have rebooted/restarted same as you and still not working.

19 replies

May 14, 2024 6:09 PM in response to BCJ83

I had another call with Apple tonight, did all kinds of stuff, nothing fixed it, scheduled a follow up for Sunday, then a few hours later...I get an imessage on my iMac...the tech said he has seen it before where it takes a bit of time for things to get back into order, but if you are still having issues, call support and let them do what they do, maybe something helped, I will never know, but its all good now.

May 14, 2024 8:57 AM in response to BCJ83

Same problem on my 2020 iMac. Updated to Sonoma 14.5 yesterday and Messages app failed to load (and the icon would bounce for about 2-3 minutes before failing) each time. Just reinstalled Sonoma 14.5 in hopes that would solve the glitch, but the problem persists. I use Messages on my iMac as a primary means of communicating and coordinating things throughout the day, so I need to get this fixed, but don't want to step back to reformatting to do so. Hoping a 14.6 update will happen real soon that will help.

May 15, 2024 9:44 AM in response to BCJ83

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and insight! I'm happy some of you have miraculously had your issue resolved via a method or reason that no one appears to know! :) I'm still experiencing the same issues as initially identified, but I suppose I'm hopeful they'll somehow resolve themselves in due time. Would still love it if someone could share an identifiable fix!

May 15, 2024 3:16 PM in response to BCJ83

I'm noticing this also! I thought it was fixed after I was on with support but I noticed that my iMessages are displaying out of order - for example if I message via my phone vs via my computer, the messages do not display correctly on my IMessage on the Mac. Hoping this is fixed soon! This is a real headache!

May 20, 2024 1:00 PM in response to WillFulmer

Same issue, Support was unable to go to SafeMode and went to a Recovery - neither Messages or FaceTime is functioning, but my iMac sees that there are activities on other devices so it is communicating (I think) on the backend. I'm going to ask about rolling back the OS or when 14.5.1 will be around to resolve this.

May 28, 2024 6:08 PM in response to BCJ83

Same here after reinstalling Sonoma 14.5 on an M1 Mac Studio.

Messages seem to come in - at least they appear in Notifications - but the Messages app will not launch.

Messages seem to sync OK in Settings/iCloud/Apps Using iCloud/Messages.

Messages still works OK on other machines - iMac, iPad, iPhone etc - so the service is fine.

When I try to launch Messages, the active app 'dot' appears beneath the Messages icon in the dock for a few seconds, then goes away - sometimes I get a crash report.

Same issue when booting in Safe Mode.

Jun 5, 2024 9:55 PM in response to wclyffe

***** SOLVED *****

To recap ...

I erased my SSD and reinstalled MacOS to resolve an issue with file sharing. After that, Messages would not launch.

I spent hours on the phone with Apple tech support - they were very obliging, but had no idea what was causing this problem.

I did all the usual troubleshooting steps - rebooting, safe mode, reinstalling the OS again, running Disk First Aid, resetting permissions - nothing helped.

I knew that the Message service was OK because it worked fine on my other devices - and I knew my Mac and the Messages app were OK because Messages worked fine on a newly created 'test' user account.

It had to be something in my Home folder.

Then I realised that my freshly re-installed MacOS was missing Microsoft's Calibri font. I reinstalled that, then Messages instantly started working again !!

This explains everything !!

I'd previously set the Text Size in Messages/Settings/General to Calibri 14pt, and this was embedded in the Messages preferences in my Home folder - which explains why Messages (which defaults to the System font) worked for the 'test' user, but not for my User account.

Apparently, Messages looks for the specified font - if it can't be found, then it just gives up.

Unfortunately, this makes it impossible to trouble-shoot - or to fix easily - because if Messages won't launch, you can't edit the font settings.

So - that explains the cause.

The solution now is for Apple to explain how to reset the font settings for the Messages app when the app can't be launched.

I hope that helps :)

Messages app not loading/opening on Sonoma 14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.