Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

changing default font used by pinyin-tradititional input system

The way things are set up now, when something is entered using the Chinese input system it appears in LeHei Pro and when that is used to supply a romanization with tone marks, it is disjointed and ugly in at least some applications. I would like to change it to a different font, but I don't understand how to do so. Keyboard in system settings lets me set font size in the candidate window, but not the font. I need to change the font.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 13, 2024 4:56 PM

7 replies

May 13, 2024 6:08 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Filemaker. It takes the style as it appears in the candidate box. I can set the font for a Filemaker field as, e.g. Apple Chancery and when I type into the field in English it will appear in the correct field. If I copy text from some article using some other font, it won't change to Apple Chancery when pasted in. I can go into the format tab on Filemaker and change it there. 、

T ampa Florida was done correctly but when I went into Chinese I ended up with Li Hei Pro. I can't leave it like this for teaching purposes. I have to manually change all of 1000 or so entries.

Thanks for your quick reply.

May 14, 2024 2:15 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

After you enter something as I am doing now to switch to Chinese input you hit the caps lock key briefly, and you are in Chinese input mode. So I now hit caps lock and type "an"

When I am typing with Chinese selected what I have typed in will show up as, e.g. in the line as "an" with the selection box below it. If I hit tab once, for first tone, I will see ān in line with the rest of the text. And to put this into the text instead of a character text I will hold down the shift key and hit return. This "ān" follows the font used for the rest of this paragraph. But if I do this while using Filemaker, instead of getting 安 and ān i will get these two entries in Li Hei Pro, i.e, what appears to be native to the Chinese input method.

I think the limitations of Filemaker make it impossible to get it to impose a styoe on copied-in stuff, and limitations with Mac OS make it impossible to change the system font used for Chinese.

May 13, 2024 7:14 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I think I answered this, but maybe in the wrong place. The app is Filemaker, and unfortunately there is no way to make it work as I would like. It take input from the selection window of the Chinese input method as external text that keeps its own style when copied into Filemaker.

I replied to myself instead of to you. Sorry about that. There are more details above.

May 14, 2024 6:12 PM in response to Spinthrift

Thanks for the clarification!

You are right, no way to change how the Chinese IM operates. Filemaker should really not behave that way. I am wondering if the part about Font Locking in this note below would be of any help:

https://help.claris.com/archive/help/12/fmp/en/html/preferences.26.6.html

Otherwise I suggest you post the problem in Filemaker forums, if you have not already done so.

changing default font used by pinyin-tradititional input system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.