downloading photos from iCloud online vs exporting from app

Hi! This is a follow-up to a previous query I posted on here, but I've got everything together here:

I have been downloading my photos from the cloud so as to put them on an external drive. It takes a while to do them in batches of 1000, but that seems to be the most you can do. 

I would quite like to export them off the Photos application on my Mac instead, but it is only letting me do one at a time. I can drag them, but I want to optimize my exports in terms of quality, so I've been going the File-Export route, and that only seems to work for one at a time; highlighting even two items doesn't give me the option to export from Photos. Apparently this isn’t a normal problem so I’m not sure what’s wrong here.

My question is: Would it be better to keep downloading them from the internet in batches of 1000, and is there anything wrong with that? Do I have less control over the quality then than if I use File-Export from the app? Not sure. I also don’t seem to have control over the order they download in, so I was wondering if I wouldn’t have that issue exporting them from the app instead. But if that issue applies to exporting from the app as well then maybe I should stick with the download-in-batches option? 

Posted on May 13, 2024 5:05 PM

5 replies

May 14, 2024 5:43 AM in response to Sam2392

Sam2392 said: I would quite like to export them off the Photos application on my Mac instead, but it is only letting me do one at a time.

I don't get what you're doing. If I select a bunch of pictures in Mac Photos and go to File>Export,

it tells me about exporting, in this case, 420 pictures. What are you doing differently that indicates that you can only export one picture?

May 14, 2024 10:57 AM in response to Sam2392

Export Original gives exactly the same file that you originally imported to Photos. It won't have any edits, crops, or annotations that you may have added in Photos. The suffix will be HEIC if that's what it was when it was imported. If you want, the annotations, like the caption, the keywords, and title, can be exported in a separate "XMP" file that has the same name but a different suffix. Some programs, like Photos, can re-combine them on import.

File>Export>Export nn Photos exports the edited pictures rather than the exact originals. Since it's a different file, you have control over quality and format. It can't be better "quality" than the original, but it might look better if you did clever edits.

If in Photos>Settings>iCloud you have "Download Originals" checked,

then your Mac already has all the full sized images inside the Photos Library. In that case, Export Unmodified Originals is very fast. Exporting edited versions is pretty fast, too.

If you have "Optimize Storage" checked, then the Mac may not have full sized versions of all the pictures on board. So it will have to download the pictures from iCloud. But it may still be a bit faster than using a browser to download the images. I'd use the Photos app.

May 14, 2024 9:39 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Hi, okay I'd like to make sure I've got everything straight, because it does seem to have stopped doing what it was doing; it just wasn't allowing me to open that Export tab you've got there (it sort of flashed off every time I highlighted more than one photo). But now it's working fine.

Would the below be correct for exporting with optimal quality? The exported file ends in HEIC. And also, would there be any advantages or disadvantages to do it this way rather than downloading it from the cloud online?

Thanks!

May 15, 2024 1:32 PM in response to Sam2392

We haven't talked about why you're exporting the pictures-- that would influence whether you want to export originals or edited versions.

If what you're going for is a backup, then I wonder why you're exporting, at all. A perfectly good backup scheme is to just drag the (fully downloaded with originals) Photos Library to an external hard drive. Then, if something goes wrong with your Library, somehow, you have another.

By the way, in Photos, there are no "edited" versions-- there are only the originals and instructions on how to edit them. When you look at edited pictures, Photos is following those instructions and doing the edits on the fly. So exporting edited pictures and originals takes twice the space. That's an OK thing, if that's what you're going for. (Well, in fact, Photos keeps some edited previews in the Library to speed things up.)

If you were exporting pictures to send to friends or for making a calendar or something, then you'd probably want the edited verslons. But it sounds like you're thinking of an archive of pictures.

I use Time Machine as a backup. Time Machine requires its own volume dedicated to it, but it automatically does an incremenal backup every hour, even if you don't think to. It doesn't take so much space, because it's backing up only things that change. I also copy my Library to a separate backup drive every month or so. I don't ever export all the pictues from the Library.

downloading photos from iCloud online vs exporting from app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.