SharePlay without FaceTime app open.

I'm listening to music with a friend over SharePlay.

SharePlay was started on her iPhone through messages (without an active FaceTime call) and I connected through my MacBook Pro (Sonoma 14.4.1) through the messages app.

My issue is that FaceTime keeps opening and turning on my camera. I want to listen to music on Apple Music through SharePlay without having the FaceTime app open because I don't want to have my camera turned on and having FaceTime open uses a lot of resources on my ram.

FaceTime doesn't open instantly after I start SharePlay through FaceTime and I keep quitting the FaceTime app but SharePlay doesn't stop, so I'm guessing having FaceTime open isn't a requirement for SharePlay to work on Mac.

Any idea of what could be causing this issue or if there is a way to prevent it?

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on May 13, 2024 6:35 PM

1 reply

May 13, 2024 9:39 PM in response to luankeanu

luankeanu wrote:

I'm listening to music with a friend over SharePlay.
SharePlay was started on her iPhone through messages (without an active FaceTime call) and I connected through my MacBook Pro (Sonoma 14.4.1) through the messages app.

My issue is that FaceTime keeps opening and turning on my camera. I want to listen to music on Apple Music through SharePlay without having the FaceTime app open because I don't want to have my camera turned on and having FaceTime open uses a lot of resources on my ram.

FaceTime doesn't open instantly after I start SharePlay through FaceTime and I keep quitting the FaceTime app but SharePlay doesn't stop, so I'm guessing having FaceTime open isn't a requirement for SharePlay to work on Mac.

Any idea of what could be causing this issue or if there is a way to prevent it?

Read how share play works Use SharePlay to watch, listen, and play together in FaceTime on iPhone - Apple Support

SharePlay without FaceTime app open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.