Need formula that copies data in the Active Cell in Numbers

Basically, if I have a column where each row is a different number (the actual data doesn't matter though), I'd like to have a cell in another column or in the header simply show the same thing as in whatever cell cell I clicked on.

Let's say A1 is the cell I want to store whatever content is in the active cell in a list of dates in column B:

B

1/5/24

1/13/24

1/29/24

Elsewhere I would have various formulas that would then use A1 to update each time I clicked a different cell in column B. For some quick comparisons I may need just for a moment, this would be much faster than entering a different date manually in A1 every time!

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 13, 2024 6:54 PM

3 replies

May 14, 2024 4:52 PM in response to Badunit

Thanks, I'll give that a try. May not be ideal (extra column needed and, I assume, you have to both click the cell you want and unclick what was checked before, but it's definitely the best solution I've found so far.

I don't know if any spreadsheet does it the way I prefer, but it seems like it would be a handle things to have.

May 14, 2024 5:15 PM in response to Badunit

Just tested it and it does work. I presently using it on a list of videos that I track the number of views on for the first 21 days of release. Right now, with your suggested changes, the release date is column B and your checkmarks are the new column A (A1 holds your formula). This is then used to change the dates across the top for those 21 days.

Definitely a lot better than constantly entering the first date by hand every time!

Thanks a lot.

Need formula that copies data in the Active Cell in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.