Playing iPod Touch in car

My 2002 Honda Accord has a USB (cigarette-lighter looking) port. I'd like to play my 2nd Generation iPod Touch in my car thru my radio speakers. Not being a techie, I don't know what to do & the Q & A I read on this site kind of confused me. I have a USB cord that fits my iPod with the little button-prong at one end. I plugged my iPod into it then plugged the cord into my car USB port but it wouldn't play thru my car speakers. Could really use some guidance! Please keep it simple, per my non-techie status. TIA!

Posted on May 13, 2024 10:03 PM

3 replies

May 14, 2024 12:06 AM in response to 2Young54

There are a few possibilities:

1. you probably need to select the USB input on the car's audio system (which may know as the car stereo, or infotainment system). Look on the menu for the audio system, for USB. Select that and then use the iPod controls to start music playing.
    2. check to see whether your car can use a Bluetooth connection. (Look in the audio system's menu again, or check the audio manual for the car.) If it can, you should be able to connect the iPod Touch and the car by Bluetooth, which would do away with the need for the cable. If there is a Bluetooth option, let us know and we can provide the specific steps required to make the connection. (One caveat though, if you already use Bluetooth to connect your phone to the car, you almost certainly will not be able to use Bluetooth for the iPod at the same time.)
    3. If neither of those options are possible, you should look to see whether there is a 3.5mm audio socket in your car. If there is, it's disposable to use a cable from the headphone socket on the iPod to the audio jack input on the car. (This is a longshot, many modern cars do not have a audio jack input socket (the 3.5mm socket).

The cigarette lighter socket and the USB socket look quite different. On modern cars, the "cigarette lighter" socket no longer has the lighter plug in it. Instead, that socket provides a 12 volt battery supply and cannot be used for the iPod.

May 14, 2024 4:36 PM in response to the fiend

Thanks for the response!

I've checked my car manual as well as the audio system in the car & there doesn't appear to be a USB input; I've also researched my year/model online & not seen any indication of it in any pictures.

Also, there's no audio socket or Bluetooth & I never use my phone in the car.

I think my car's just too old (like its owner!) & I'll have to abandon my iPod idea.

I'm that dinosaur that doesn't care about the latest & greatest technology, but thought maybe this would work.

Oh well...

Playing iPod Touch in car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.