How to fix unreadable screen issue on iMac running El cap

2008 iMac, running El Cap, screen unusable, went stripey and unreadable in full screen mode, using Firefox. Can anyone please tell me:

Likely issue, graphics card? Repairable? No response from firm approached.

Given it might be the same cost, I'd like to replace it anyway with a 2010(?) iMac (running nothing newer than High Sierra 10.13.4, I have 32bit apps), but how would I migrate, without a usable interface? My back up is out of date, how would I get important files off? Software licences?

Last question, excuse my ignorance but if I booted with the right cable from the mini DVI port to a 2nd iMac, would I get a mirrored screen on the 2nd?

Really grateful for any help here, I depend on this old iMac for work.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 14, 2024 5:00 AM

11 replies

May 14, 2024 8:09 AM in response to rsaum

rsaum wrote:

2008 iMac, running El Cap, screen unusable, went stripey and unreadable in full screen mode, using Firefox. Can anyone please tell me:

That Mac is so old that Apple definitely won't be stocking repair parts, or providing repair service, for it any more. Some third party might be able to use the guts of another 2008 Mac to repair it – like stripping the engine off of a junkyard car, to install in another car of the same model, but economically, it doesn't make sense.

A repaired machine

• would be using a really old two-core Intel CPU
  • would have 6 GB or less of usable RAM (4 GB or less as shipped from the factory)
  • would be using a type of RAM that is obsolete and that you might not be able to get any more
  • wouldn't be capable of running anything higher than El Capitan
  • would only have a 20" or 24" 1920x1200 pixel screen

Given it might be the same cost, I'd like to replace it anyway with a 2010(?) iMac (running nothing newer than High Sierra 10.13.4, I have 32bit apps), but how would I migrate, without a usable interface? My back up is out of date, how would I get important files off? Software licences?

It's clear that you don't want a 2020 iMac – as it cannot run anything earlier than Catalina. You might want to look for a Mac whose minimum OS can run 32-bit applications and whose maximum OS is still reasonably current. For instance, 2019 iMacs can run Mojave through Sonoma. 2017 ones can run Sierra through Ventura.

Other World Computing sells used Intel-based Macs, and there is also the Certified Refurbished section of Apple's online store.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple_Systems/Used/Macs_and_Tablets

Refurbished Mac Deals - Apple

If you don't have up-to-date backups of the internal hard drive, it would make more sense to have someone take out the hard drive to put in an external USB enclosure, or to plug in to a USB-to-SATA adapter cable. Then you'd focus on recovering the data on that drive for use with a newer Mac.

NOTE: Pulling the internal drive would not be an option in current Macs, since in most, the SSDs are soldered in; and even in those where the SSDs aren't soldered in, the contents of the SSDs are encrypted. "Pulling the internal drive" is a risky thing to depend on even for older machines; but for current ones, you must plan your backup strategy on the assumption that you won't be able to do that.

Last question, excuse my ignorance but if I booted with the right cable from the mini DVI port to a 2nd iMac, would I get a mirrored screen on the 2nd?

There are some old iMacs that support Target Display Mode. Most of them require Thunderbolt input. You cannot convert from DVI to Thunderbolt. A few support Mini DisplayPort input. It may be theoretically possible to convert from DVI to DIsplayPort, but the adapters I've seen are designed for the other way around.

So no, you're not going to be using another Mac as an external monitor for the dead one.

I believe that it is fairly trivial to convert between HDMI and single-link DVI in either direction. So you could consider using an inexpensive DVI-to-HDMI adapter, and a HDMI cable, to connect that iMac to a HDTV. You've probably got a HDTV. Whether this will be enough to let you regain control of the iMac, or whether you will find that some things are inoperable (because you can't see, e.g., a menu bar being displayed on the broken internal screen), I can't say.

May 14, 2024 2:25 PM in response to rsaum

Regarding replacement, I heard Sierra was more stable for 32 bit apps than Mojave, ....

I am using a number of 32-bit apps on both a 2012 Macbook Pro and a 2017 iMac 5K, both running Mojave for compatibility purposes. I have zero issues with 32-bit apps.

Some, like Photoshop Elements, required me to do some setting changes is System Prefs (oddly, in Accessibility) but once done, they run fine.

May 14, 2024 8:17 AM in response to rsaum

rsaum wrote:

Could be either the Display and/or the GPU.

Sadly if you can find someone to fix, it will cost more than the iMac is worth.

Given it might be the same cost, I'd like to replace it anyway with a 2010(?) iMac (running nothing newer than High Sierra 10.13.4,

Yes that would actually be cheaper and somewhat more reliable than repairing the old 2008 iMac.

I have 32bit apps), but how would I migrate, without a usable interface? My back up is out of date, how would I get important files off? Software licences?

You have a couple of options to move your data if the 2008 iMac is still running.

1) Make a Time Machine backup, then use that to migrate to a newer iMac.

see > Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

2) Use Firewire Target Disk Mode to transfer your data.

see > Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

You can not use mini DVI for screen mirroring with another iMac.

You can use the mini DVI port to connect an external DVI or VGA monitor to your 2008 iMac.

What type of work do you do, that is holding you back to using old out-dated software?

There are plenty of software options, that would allow you to do the work on a new more reliable iMac.

May 14, 2024 11:21 AM in response to rsaum

I used and loved IVMP for years. But when Catalina came around I had to find another app to replace it. I'm currently on a 2017 iMac with Photos and it does every thing that iView can do except for version editing. It does keep the original file untouched as a digital negative and keep the edits in a database and applies it to the preview version and to the original when it's exported out of the library.

I haven't used iVMP for over 5 years so don't remember if it can export or assign keywords and titles to image files that iPhoto or Photos can see. You might try with a couple of files and see if your iPhoto library can use that metadata from iVMP. It it can you would be best served in getting a new Mac and migrating from iVMP to Photos.

Note: a good economical routs would be to get a Mac Mini with a minimum of 16 GB of RAM and as big a boot drive as your budget can afford. Then get a 27" 3rd party monitor w/speakers. It will blow the socks off your current Mac performance wise.

May 14, 2024 9:33 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Thank you! Yes, says something it's (was) still running though, did all I needed, thought we'd grow old together. I hang onto it because I'm skint, artist with a stone studio, no point wrecking something nicer. Regarding replacement, I heard Sierra was more stable for 32 bit apps than Mojave, and a 2010/11 iMac would be an inexpensive upgrade. Target disk mode would sort it, hope my FireWire ports work, never did with my back up drive. Thanks again!

May 15, 2024 8:51 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks. IVMP just fits the workflow, metadata and sorting (I use Photos too), I remember buying the cd-rom from their office in Battersea, London, late 90's... Yes Mac Mini considered. Luckily I have a place locally selling refurbished Macs, they can sort the migration, I think my fw ports are fried.

How to fix unreadable screen issue on iMac running El cap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.