Apple TV can’t connect

The Apple TV box simply doesn’t connect to the server and I can’t figure out why. The App on SKY box worked fine but I’ve ditched SKY so how do I watch Apple TV on my Panasonic TV through the Apple device?

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on May 14, 2024 11:34 AM

1 reply

May 15, 2024 7:43 AM in response to GuyTex

Apple TV box models can be a bit confusing, with different models using the same generation number. To avoid wrong assumptions, please specify if you use

• Apple TV (2nd generation) [A1378] (2010), or
  • Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) [A2169] (2021).

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

The 2010 model wouldn’t support the modern Apple TV app with Apple TV+. Not sure what functionality is still remaining on that model in 2024.

The 2021 model would be supporting the modern Apple TV app with Apple TV+, and many current third party services.

Verify the version system software on the device.

The TV may need to have the HDMI port selected to which the Apple TV box is connected through HDMI cable. Else it wouldn’t show the Apple TV box interface.

The Apple TV box needs internet connectivity. Verify that the Network settings are valid and as expected. If you see IP address 169.254.x.x on Apple TV, then it would be a non-connectable self-assigned IP address. You should see an IP address in the same subnet range as your router and other network devices. It is generally advised to have your network devices get an IP address automatically through the DHCP function of the router.

If it doesn’t work, then try restarting the non-connectable device, the router, and any other optional network gear.

If you tried ethernet, then try Wi-Fi as well.

If you tried Wi-Fi, then try ethernet as well.

For failing Wi-Fi connectivity:

1. Try the steps as mentioned in: If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support
  2. Try the ‘Other…’ option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. Especially if the password has been changed.
  3. For Apple TV (A1625 or earlier), verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later support that. Instead use ‘WPA2/WPA3 Transitional’. Some users report that they had to set ‘WPA2’-only first.

Apple TV can’t connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.